Td5 discovery 2 very sluggish acceleration

Sharkysmith

hi everyone , I've recently bought a discovery td5 5 gs on an 02 plate ,, but it seams very slow on acceleration until about 2000rpm when it suddenly picks up speed,  I really have to work the gearbox to get any sort of acceleration and at most it will do about 75-80 mph.

I also have what looks like an oil temp light situated on the top right of the instrument cluster,, the precious owner stated that it's to do with an auto gearbox,  but mines a manual gearbox and I was wondering if this would have anything to do with it??

I was thinking of blanking the age valve as been told this can help with acceleration and improve mpg???

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi, yes should be better than that- 90+mph should be easily available. (But having said that, I'd be wary of pushing TD5s too hard, sometimes it seems like they just need any excuse to break their heads/fuel galleries).  On Td5s the turbo does come in with a bit of a wallop, and it does need to be driven with that in mind, adjusting gears to suit the turbo range. But first thing really would be read any fault codes and see if anything is logged. After that certainly blank off the egr to see if you get more oomph -  but leave the externals still visible for any future mot inspection. Good luck