Removal side waffle holders

roamingyak

Hi all,
Perhaps you can solve something thats holding my internal rebuild up a little...
I have for years had these metal holders for my waffle boards on the side of my Defender, but now living in Europe I think they might cause me problems. I don't need them in Europe, but really do in Africa.
Problem - how can I change them to be easily take on/take off without having access to the inside (as this will be under two layers of sound proofing and a huge sheet of plywood)?
Or can you think of a better solution that is also lockable?

At the moment:
A. whack on the waffle (50mm) to the side holders, B. bolt with a welded on loop twist handle goes into the nut welded in place C. 90 degree metal bracket slotted over the loop twist handle D. padlock through the loop twist handle (so you can't twist the bolt undone with the padlock in place)
Help appreciated - links to items mentioned or images even more so 😉

waffle2.jpg

waffle1.jpg

waffle3.jpg

Rivet a flat plate on the inside with blind tapped holes in it don't forget some sealer. Then all you would have on the outside is some holes which you could leave open or put some short mushroom heads in. This would allow you the bolt your brackets back on whenever you want. 

Mike

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Could you not just put the bolts right through the soundproofing and put and use a spreader plate on the ply?

Lockable stuff can be worked out then....

Thanks.... but things will be mounted on the ply inside.

Edited by roamingyak

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Rivet a flat plate on the inside with blind tapped holes in it don't forget some sealer. Then all you would have on the outside is some holes which you could leave open or put some short mushroom heads in. This would allow you the bolt your brackets back on whenever you want. 

Mike

Thanks Mike  - can you link to any blind tapped holes holders?

So just weld the existing sized nuts to a plate. Attach the plate to the inside panel.
Nut shouldn't be a locknut, and then shouldn't need to access the inside ever again.
Thanks all, nice and simple 😉

Edited by roamingyak

There are several captive nut plates in land rovers. rear hinges, striker plates etc. The other option is one bit of 6mm+ plate with a hole drilled and tapped then. A second plate then sealed and fixed over the hole. You can then either Rivet, bolt, screw or glue the whole thing in place.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...