oil psi

tolley

I think you would be lucky to ever see more than 40-45psi from an old 3.5. At idle with a hot engine there used to be a bit in the RR handbook that told the driver not to worry if the oil pressure lamp came on at idle,as long as it went out with a few revs on all was good. Think the oil lamp went out at 7psi.

Old Rovers relied on volume,not pressure. Much volume used to be lost through worn rockers and shafts,replacing them would often quieten them down and make the oil lamp less friendly at low revs.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:54 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Very roughly 40psi at idle and up to maybe 100psi, oil light comes on around 10psi. I think. Approximately. Ish.

100psi - you would be blowing stuff left right and center.

No at idle you will get around 20 psi and running with any sort of revs up around 40psi - maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less depending on gauge and engine condition.

• 2 weeks later...

From my old V8 days, I remember that fitting a low pressure warning sender was a must as a factory 25psi one would cause the warning lamp to glow at idle.... All the Rover V8's have very low oil pressure, even from new!

If you want to upgrade your pump, then fit a front cover off the Buick V6 engines, it has the high volume pump standard and is a bolt-on swap.

Alternatively, there are kits available that you can fit, but they are a fiddle to set up with a bunch of shims.

You won't achieve much by raising oil pressure on an old Rover V8, they simply don't need it to either work hard or do high mileages. Worn rockers,shafts,cam,big end and main bearings are your enemy.

I've seen plenty of serp 3.9,4.0,4.2 and 4.6 engines with worn out valve gear,cams and bearings with only 100k or so under them. Can't think that the pump around the crank helped them much...

On 8/25/2018 at 4:53 PM, miggit said:

^??

Front cover? Isn't that on the later 4.6 engines?

My V8 was a shaft driven pump that was in the sump... I've come across high capacity conversions here  http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section1.pdf  if anyone does a bolt on upgrade for the Rover V8 you'll find it here!

No, it was for the 3.5 and pre serpentine engines.

The Buick cover from the cast iron V6s is a direct bolt-on to the RV8 and has the better flow rate pump.