Headlights not working

changread

Hi all,

The headlights are not working on my 1977 Lightweight when i switch them on the six position switch, all the other light functions work on the switch but not the headlights. When i rotate the switch i can hear a switch clicking sound between functions,  the headlight flasher works so i know the headlights are working. What is the square box under the bonnet with a lot of looks like German writing on?  

As the 6 position switch is unique to military vehicles you might have more success asking in the military forum.

Having said that.....

Do you have 12v (or 24v if FFR) coming into the headlamp stalk?  Do you have 12v (or . . . ) coming out of the 6 position switch?  

G.

an average multimeter wil also have a 'beep trough' function where it beeps when the 2 ends are connected. This can be used to measure switches / lines and check for broken circuits (would have to disconnect the battery first.)

Also earth problem is still possible as headlights take way more power as the other lights and thereby need a solid ground.

Dipped beam should be the blue wire with red trace and main beam is with a white trace. I'm not familiar with military wiring but the basic idea would be to start as close to the battery as possible and see how far the volts are getting - do they reach the switch but not appear the other side etc.?

Worth noting too that (at least on std. Series wiring) the lighting circuit is NOT fused so a short can lead to the loom going up in smoke (ask me how I know!), if you do have to juggle any wires it's well worth throwing a fuse or two into the mix for peace of mind.

The multimeter "beep" function is also called continuity buzzer and is well worth having, you can pick up a meter for under a fiver that has the function.

Isn't the stalk a standard S3 component - in which case I think it has a separate feed for the flasher.  As you say the rest of the lights work this suggests that the fault is somewhere in the circuit form the switch to the lights.  If its like the standard vehicle there are loads of bullet conectors behind the radiator grill - which corrode and fail.  may be worth looking around there.

Thanks for all your help, after lots of checks i discovered the problem, the head light bulb plug in connectors have a rubber shroud that makes a water tight seal on the reflector, when plunged in its fine, but the vibration works the shroud back and takes the spade connectors with it starting a disconnection.