Alpine windows - glass size and painting

I have a 1991 100 that is a ex MOD winterised deep wader - pretty much all of that has been stripped out, however the hardtop and alpine windows remain original.
The alpine window seals need replacing - understand there is either 4mm or 5mm glass in there.
If I pull it out can I accurately measure the glass thickness from anybody's past experience?
(I need to wait 10 days for the new seals to arrive so keen get it right first time)

Whilst the glass is out I'm thinking of painting it white on the external side like my roof as IĀ have La Salle headlining in there that blocks the Alpine windows off anyway.
Can anybody suggest the best paint to use for longevity - explicit brands and links appreciated as always, else just characteristics is fine šŸ˜‰

• 1 month later...

Job done. By my neighbour who's been doing it for 50 years ;)
Watched this video for tips, painted the insideĀ Ā with a white acrylic spray paint from the local equivalent of Halfords, fitted new genuine seals (expensive), used the Gunson tool kit (link) that is about Ā£12 for the strip filler, but neighbour preferred a thinĀ flat head screwdriver for getting the glass into the main large seal.
Needs two people to hold the window in place at one end whilst the other pushes it into place down the other. Note when you remove the window which one goes on which side as the curvature seemed different at each end(?) and we had to swap them around.

As suggestions for a sealer that IĀ can use on the insideĀ please?
I intend to cover the inside in acoustic foam and then headlining, so would like to try to ensure that no water comes in for years, but wary of products that will perish the rubber or make it shrink etc

Ā 

AlpineInside1.jpg

Alpineoutside1.jpg

Interesting that you've noticed the difference in glass curvature. I noticed that on my 1986 model too.Ā 

When I first noticed it I thought it looked like there was a flat on the glass. Perhaps they're all like that, although I seriously doubt it is intentional.

This might help.... the etched whiteĀ writing on each glass panel is:
Drivers side (rhd) correct way up (ie: readable) and at the rear.
Passengers side, correct way up (ie: readable) but writing at the front.
(Seem to recall the writing end had two dots pushed into the glass at the top and the bottom also?)

Get a second person to help - when you push one end in, they hold it in place whilst you work your way down to the other end, else it justĀ keeps popping out and its seriously demoralising šŸ˜‰Ā 
If stuck, jump on the Eurotunnel, pop down to Portugal and for a cheap bottle of wine my neighbour will do it in 20 minsĀ šŸ˜‰Ā 

Edited by roamingyak

• 1 year later...

Thinking of cutting alpine windows in my '83 SIII using a paper template here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Window-Paper-Template-for-Land-Rover-Defender/272628202064

I guess this is a template for the hole that needs to be cut, but are there any diagrams for where the window should be positioned relative to the rear wall & how far up from the roof rain gutter..?

Also, I gather from various LR forumsĀ that it's key to get genuine seals that bend, as otherwise they won't fill out the curves --> water leaks.

I found these seals on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-Alpine-Window-Glazing-Rubber-Seal-Filler-4mm-DBF500030-40/172419170192

... but have no idea about how supple they are.

Can anyone confirm this will work, or recommend an alternative..?

Cheers!

Ā