Brake bleeding

Sabre

We recently replaced the brake fluid in my son's 300 TDi Discovery. He drove the car for a week after that, and the brakes were good. The car was then parked for a week, and when he drove it again braking action was very bad. You really have to step on the pedal to slow down the car. It feels as if there is no power assistance

We bled the system, and a lot of air  came from both rear wheels. But, no change to the brakes. We bled the system again, and a few bubbles  came from the left rear brake. All other wheels bled clear brake fluid. But there is still no change

Is there a possibility that the brake booster could have failed while the car was stationary ? Is there a way of testing the booster ?

Any tips on bleeding the system ? I have bled many brake systems on many vehicles in my life, including my own 300 TDi Discovery, but have never come across this issue before.

Those symptoms sound like a faulty servo or vacuum pump.

To test the brake servo, pump the pedal a few times with the engine off to get rid of any residual vacuum. Apply the brakes with the brake pedal then start the engine. If the servo is working, the pedal should sink further down toward the floor when the engine starts. If the pedal does not sink any further, either the servo is faulty or the vacuum pump is kaput.

The vacuum pump could be tested by removing the hose from the servo and placing a thumb/finger over the end of the hose to check for vacuum.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 9:53 PM, ThreeSheds said:

This has me stumped... How are you bleeding the brakes? Using a vacuum pump by any chance?

We used the old method, pump brake pedal, hold, open bleed nipple to allow air/brake fluid to escape, close bleed nipple

Some (egg-on-face) feed back

We wanted to replace the vacuum pump on the system on Saturday. Whilst looking around the engine bay, my son asked : "What does this pipe do ?" It was the vacuum pipe from the vacuum pump going to the booster. The pipe was pulled off, and sat right in front of the booster inlet, about 5mm from it

Connected the pipe, and the brakes were 100%

😎

On 8/19/2018 at 9:53 PM, ThreeSheds said:

This has me stumped... How are you bleeding the brakes? Using a vacuum pump by any chance?

We used the old method, pump brake pedal, hold, open bleed nipple to allow air/brake fluid to escape, close bleed nipple

• Like 2