Advice on removing rusted-in bolt?

SPendrey

Hello,

In an attempt to sort my steering out (right lock is poor) I had to take my steering guard off.  In the process, a bolt sheared... the big bolt shown front and centre in Les's picture here which is also the middle bolt in picture 2.  My car is Disco, the pics are from a Defender I think?  Anyway, you'll get what I mean!  To be clear, the bolt-head is what sheared off.  The remainder is well and truly stuck in there, have hit it with the biggest hammer I've got and it won't budge.

Drilling it out would be a long and painful process I suspect, although I can reach reach.  Any other quicker ideas?  I will attempt to remove the whole bracket (picture 2) if the top bolt undoes with ease, perhaps that'll allow some movement?

med_gallery_2_306_1020338.jpg

med_gallery_2_306_345155.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott, the usual advice I've seen given is to get plenty of heat on it to break the rust and expand the hole. Do you  have acces to an air chisel?

Griff

(Peter can type faster than me 🙂 )

Edited by bear

Put the nut back on with a few washers underneath and do it up. Keep tightening up until the remainder of the bolt starts to shift. Once it's moving, it may shift with the hammer, but if not just keep adding washers/piece of tube until its going. That nut can apply more force than any hammer you'll get in there - use it like a puller. :)

If you've mushroomed the end trying to bash it, just grind the end off until the nut threads on

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Do you have access to any of:

- Air or electric impact gun

- Welder

- Grinder

- Big f***in hammer

Yes, to all of the above.  However, I had an hour spare this afternoon and started drilling.  2mm at first which took ages, then 4, then 6 etc. which didn't take long at all!  Got to 9.5mm then hammered in a cold chisel/punch.  Hit that with the big f'in hammer a few times and bingo!

20180820_142848_resized.thumb.jpg.86a2ca295fc36426ec09d2274cd8c593.jpg