Bottle jack adapter for axles

martyn668

Anyone got any thoughts on these?

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/axle-tube-pad-for-bottle-jack

Other than that's a bit expensive for what it is. To make one exceeds my skills as a welder, or at least anything I'd trust to hold up a couple of tons of weight. Surprised I can't find a UK-supplier of this or an equivalent. I'd have to check the diameter of my jack to see if it would even fit (securely).

I have had 2 for years, both fine. I did have to free up the release at one point after being outside, but welded a bolt to it so I could release by hand much easier :)

If they have laid on their side for any time, they can take a while to get going again.

So the consensus is a standard LR jack. I had thought they were getting rare and expensive, but a quick trawl of Ebay reveals quite a few. Probably go down that route. To be honest I mainly use my trolley jack when home - much more stable, but a bottle jack is useful sometimes. 

Why is there so much objection to the adapter in the link? It doesnt look dangerous as long as it sits far enough down the jack shaft. The LR disco jacks are good for the axle, but when you need a normal bottle jack you havent got one. This would allow both functions?

No real objections I think, just a preference for the LR jack. If you add a small piece of wood, there easy to use on flat surfaces as well. Only downside is they're getting hard to find (in good condition). So the Sprinter one might be an alternative, good tip FF!

I have two Sprinter bottle jacks and they are perfect. The handle is in three parts so packs away nicely into a little pack. Why two? Well the first wasn't flat under the base so I told the eBay seller and they sent another and didn't want the first returning. I need to get it flat somehow.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:15 AM, Escape said:

So the Sprinter one might be an alternative, good tip FF!

The tip came via TSD from the Disco3 forums as the D3's need a huge lift to change a wheel and weigh as much as the moon (the Sprinter ones are on their limit with a D3 but the assumption is Ze Jaarmans will over-engineer it a bit :ph34r:). They have a cast saddle on top that matches a LR axle pretty well, and pressing the roll pin out of it leaves a nice top-hat shape that you can easily make more adapters for.

Ah, Fridge Freezer, I like the idea of a jack where you can swap the head. Sometimes a flat top is better for certain jobs (not lifting a Land Rover, but separating two heavy objects). I’ve occasionally used mine as a hydraulic ram to “adjust” body panels. I know you’re not supposed to use them horizontally, but there wasn’t much force, and the occasional use horizontal won’t kill them I’m sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martyn668 said:

Ah, Fridge Freezer, I like the idea of a jack where you can swap the head. Sometimes a flat top is better for certain jobs (not lifting a Land Rover, but separating two heavy objects). I’ve occasionally used mine as a hydraulic ram to “adjust” body panels. I know you’re not supposed to use them horizontally, but there wasn’t much force, and the occasional use horizontal won’t kill them I’m sure.

Can’t see how using one sideways would damage it.... if it’s the ‘wrong’ on it’s side it would just mean it’s pumping air rather than oil.