Brake servo booster or vacuum pump?

DC_

Ok so having discovered a problem with my brakes which don’t seem to be too bad. There seems to be trouble maintaining the same braking performance when going downhill and on the brakes for a good few seconds.... getting advice from another thread ( thank you), it seems vacuum is the issue. 

So, having replaced the non return valve on the booster, which didn’t make any difference (slightly worse if I’m honest), it’s time to get it sorted. 

I did the test, engine off, press pedal several times, hold pedal whilst starting engine and pedal should sink when vacuum assists....... there is NO further assist. So, should I invest in a new brake booster? Or a vacuum pump? Also did the finger test on the pump and seemed ok but, on the other thread it seems that’s not enough.

👍😎

Yes the vacuum test on finger was done and seemed ok. 

Thanks guys for the replies, my signature has my truck details on it but I know some can’t view it depending on device used to view the forum. 

Thanks again Ralph 👍

• Like 1

So Monday has arrived along with the new servo, got in from work and cracked on before the rain arrived. The hardest part of this job was getting the bas@#§$ing cotter pin In and out to the brake pedal. If you have an angled pair of pliers it sure does help !!

what a difference in the braking performance !! I know they weren’t great but looking back at how they actually were it’s frighting. So once again thanks to everyone for their input. Handbrake also adjusted so it’s ready for MOT on Wednesday 🙏🏻 

• 5 years later...

Didn't seem worth making a new post but I recently found myself with what felt like half braking power.

Found this post very useful so thought I'd share my situation and ask if anyone has advice.

So apparently some previous owner put in a barbed T-piece. It looked like the remnants of black adhesive which had been blocking it off had failed at some point causing the vacuum leak.

I'm assuming someone had an accessory that needed a vacuum? No dangling hoses as far as I could see. It was spliced in near the vacuum pump.

IMG_20240123_094521.thumb.jpg.bd3d1ccc118945d1d6756ab0693bf697.jpg

Temporarily put on some random hose I had lying around and blocked it off. Hey presto - working brakes!

Luckily had some barbed fittings so put in a straight join with a bit of tiger seal making sure none was on the end of the barbs to avoid blocking the vacuum line.

Going to give it at least 24hrs before running again.

IMG_20240123_100358.thumb.jpg.a6744b5298feb8e48e3991745368d955.jpg

So - any ideas what this could have been for? Or have I deleted a factory T- piece that should be connected to something?

That looks like a TD5. They have a vacuum take-off for the EGR valve. If the valve has been removed or forced open, the vacuum lines and solenoids can (should) be removed as well.