LS1 V8 on a Rover manual box?

Sure many of you have seen this before:

https://www.marks4wd.com/engine-conversions/bell-housing-adaptors/ls-v8-engines/mfk410g3.html

Adapter kit to mate a Chevy LS1 to a Rover 4 or 5 speed manual (assume it means LT-95, 85, 77 and R380)

Obviously the LS1 is way above the 380nm rating of the R380. But I’m guessing as they sell the kit, it must actually work and be usable. 

Does anyone know of any build threads or examples of this adapter being used? Google doesn’t seem to return much for me. 

I wouldn't be pushing the skinny pedal too far with that. Only saving grace is the LS is incredibly smooth in power delivery but the only Rover bit that will live with that power is the LT230, and there's a yank-box-to-LT230 adapter already.

9 hours ago, Red90 said:

It would be a stupid idea.

If you want manual either NV4500 or T56.  Lots of people have done them.

Thanks. Was hoping for a little more first hand experience. Why would a company go to the effort to develop and stock something that doesn’t work? One would assume people have tried it in the past which generated the demand to make the components.

The LT-77 was used for racing in applications also exceeding its base specs. So it’s not completely unheard of using higher performance engines with them.

Do you have any links for using a NV4500 or T56 in a Land Rover? Although the availability and cost of them in the UK makes them non viable options really. 

I suspect they developed it because LS's are ten a penny so it's an easy swap with minimal mods to a much more modern engine with great parts availability. That doesn't stack up over here of course.

The R380 wasn't fitted behind the 4.6 Rover V8's if memory serves (although I've got two 4.6's with R380's and they haven't died yet), an LS will double all the numbers a 4.6 makes quite easily.

Racing applications have lifetimes measured in hours so it's possibly not a useful benchmark for reliable motoring.

Oz have some really weird rules regarding engine conversions/modifications and the like, so that may be driving some of it.

The LS1 is ~365lb/ft (495NM) in stock form, so way over a stock specced R380, but then the LT76 transmission lived with the RV8 quite well in many a Series conversion....

There's a chap on YouTube (AlexLR) who's put an LS3 (6.2L with about 450hp) into a 90 and I'm pretty sure he's running a T56 Magnum transmission behind it. There are already adapter plates to mate that to an LT230 if I remember correctly. Some rather entertaining videos of it down at Perrenporth drag strip against some serious vehicles and holds its own until aerodynamics takes over.

I like the fact he's kept it as a nice sleeper - still got all the dents and so on, just happens to have a 6.2 V8 underneath :wub:

Yeah have seen those vids. 

Any idea on the T56 to LT230? Never seen that one. 

As for engines. I already have an LS1 engine. And looking at a 109 coiler project with it. But want to keep the LT230 as it just makes life easier with the rest of the drivetrain. It’s just the gearbox bit that is missing. Would really like to have a manual over an auto. Also the only auto to LT230 I’ve seen use the 4L80e gearbox. Which again is expensive and hard to source in the U.K.  

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Not cheap but you can get them new in the UK:

https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=45_141

http://www.partsworldperformance.com/manual-performance-transmissions

Knew I'd seen talk of an adapter - apparently via Rakeway

Thanks. Good reading. But I must be blind. Couldn’t actually see an adapter or a link to one? Do you have a direct link?

ta for the gearbox links. £4K for T56 is a pretty big chunk of money though. Going for the R380 and having to rebuild the box every 5 years would probably give you a few decades use before costing the same. 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You pay a massive premium in the UK, if you can find a reputable place in the US willing to palletise engine & box & any other parts required and then ship internationally you will save a shedload.

Or just find a Vauxhall Monaro going cheap ;)

As said. I have a LS1 already. In fact I have a few bits. 

I own both of these:

F2BFC433-101B-4A07-9221-03F9B161DEAE.jpg

They are 4th Gen Chevy Camaros. The blue one has a 5.7 LS1 and 4L60e automatic gearbox. The green one also has a 5.7 LS1 but with a factory T56 6 speed manual.

I recently found my 88 Tdi to be too small while away camping and also too unrefined. My current thinking is a 109 coiler. Designa chassis can supply the chassis and I have access to Land Rover axles.

I also have a Rover V8 I could use, as a V8 will solve the refinement issues and the coil suspension help in ride smoothness. But the RV8 is only a 3.5, I know I could get a 3.9-4.6, but seeing as I have the ability to use an LS1 at no extra cost it almost seems silly not too.

I just need to solve the transmission problem. I have an LT230 to use. I’m not willing to pull the T56 out of the Camaro though. And I do want a manual in the 109 for preference.

I didn’t see in the links above. Was there a T56 to LT230 adapter? As souring another T56 isn’t out of the question.

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Thanks. Good reading. But I must be blind. Couldn’t actually see an adapter or a link to one? Do you have a direct link?

ta for the gearbox links. £4K for T56 is a pretty big chunk of money though. Going for the R380 and having to rebuild the box every 5 years would probably give you a few decades use before costing the same. 

I don't think there was an adapter plate linked but the forum discussion mentioned that Rakeway had developed one for the T56 Magnum manual to LT320 for someone. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they still have the plans / designs around.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

My current thinking is a 109 coiler. Designa chassis can supply the chassis and I have access to Land Rover axles.

At risk of invoking the forum bogeyman...would switching to a coiler chassis not immediately mean you've got to get it through an IVA? Unless you can find one that was provable already converted before SVA/IVA came in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

At risk of invoking the forum bogeyman...would switching to a coiler chassis not immediately mean you've got to get it through an IVA? Unless you can find one that was provable already converted before SVA/IVA came in.

I don’t think that is a topic for this forum. The rules are quite clear on the homepage 😉

However I think the answer “depends”. As no matter what any single source will tell you. There is no single clean cut answer. And speaking to DVLA/VOSA can and does yield differing and contradictory opinions. Ultimately I suspect it would take case law to truly set a precedent. But I’m not aware of any. 

For this build. Engine/gearbox/steering mods would also need to be included. But this isn’t my first foray into heavily modified vehicles. 

For the chassis however. The question to ask is “what is the definition of suspension?”

One answer could be there are suspensions systems such as independent suspension and solid axle systems. 

In which case a coil chassis uses the same live axle suspension system as a leaf chassis does. It has only changed the spring type. 

I know others and possibly yourself may have differing views (opinions). Hence stating it would take a Court Case and case law to actually decide ultimately. 

If changing the spring type counts as the definition of suspension. Then any p38/D2 going from air to coil could also be at risk (dependant upon other modifications of course). 

As would anyone fitting air assister springs.