LS1 V8 on a Rover manual box?

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

It is not the suspension that is an issue, it is a modified/not direct replacement chassis, that is instantly an IVA.

Yes, I said it @V8 Freak

:)

Lol. All the out riggers are factory replacements. The rails have just been been fabbed up using scrap metal ;) as repair sections. It’s as factory as fitting a half chassis or new rear cross member then a month later repairing the front with sheet metal  

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a flywheel from a 6.2 diesel that I had already and had been mated to an LT77. I used a spacer that comes with the 6 bolt flexplates for the 4L80 auto and made a little concentric ring to centralise the flywheel exactly on the crank. Redrilled the bolt holes as the pcd is different between sbc and LS.

The other thing that nobody knows and probably the most useful piece of advice I can give is for flywheel bolts. They’re M11 and nobody sells bolts for anything other than standard fitment. I used BMW head bolts which were perfect.

i used the 168 tooth ring and outer bit of flexplate bolted to a recess turned in the back of the flywheel.

spigot bearing is different too between sbc and ls. I found a really common  one from a lawnmower that worked, was all standard sizes.

5AE3051E-4AF2-42F7-A059-6B012535CF5E.jpeg

D14A6EDF-CA91-4863-8B6B-11BC492A45D8.jpeg

3D201D83-112C-41D1-B850-E5A9CF6400CE.jpeg

86944FF6-C42B-4E51-A92E-09CFA971EA96.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve b said:

I like your bench under that engine and box Jamie :) . Did you need to do any re-balancing of the diesel flywheel for the V8 ?

cheers

Steve b

The short answer is no.
However, that's a more interesting question than it seems.
The 6.2 diesel's are externally balanced and failure to do this is the main reason for the cracked webs and broken cranks they're famous for.
It was a kind of bodge last time with the diesel where I just bolted the normally balanced flywheel like it would be for an internally balanced engine bolted to the externally balanced flexplate and crank of the diesel. I didn.t like it but it worked fine for years. I would have no idea how to balance a flywheel for an externally balanced engine.
The flywheel is 25kg and it's centralised on the LQ4 crank as best I can but it hasn't got balanced whilst mounted and it's a lot of weight to get out of hand. It was fine on the lathe turning the recess for the bit of flexplate. There's loads of runout on the ring gear somehow, about 0.030", I think the flex plate wasn't round to start with!! Well, that's what I would like to think, I'm sure I wouldn't put a wobbly bit on a spinny bit on purpose.
Well, I did add a little bit of unbalance with the drilling of the bolt holes for sure, two of them coincide which was nearly the end of the project before it started then I thought that I've seen far worse and how bad could it be so I carried on.
 I would also like to use a fluid harmonic damper pulley on it and a shaft for a hydraulic pump. I'm not sure for how long I'll live in fear of the flywheel jumping up and landing on my lap like a pussy cat or just chopping my legs and hands off before spinning off into the distance. I have a megasquirt ecu coming this week and I'm hoping to get it to idle nicely at 500rpm with enough inertia in the monster flywheel to get over something like a tree stump at idle.
The picture shows the crank spacer used with the 4L80 E auto to put the flex plate in the same position as a sbc which is what allowed me to think to use the diesel flywheel which shares the sbc pcd and backspacing. There is a ring over the crank spacer too as the spigot for the flywheel to crank is bigger on the sbc configuration. 
I did it without any knowledge or connection to the chev world which made it more time consuming and getting it to run has been a steep engine specific learning curve which is about to get steeper with megasquirt which I've never used.

The bench is really handy as it can roll around the place easily. Future improvements include proper drinks holders which it currently lacks.

IMG_5984.jpg