Seven Sisters off-road weekend 27-28 October, Wales, all welcome!

Seven Sisters, Wales

• Miles and miles of off-roading of all forms, from gentle freelander-friendly tracks & trails to horrible mud bugs, rocks, deep water, etc.
  • A fun punch-hunt to keep you entertained, with punches ranging from easy to eviiiiiil
  • Camping at the excellent Dan Yr Ogof Showcaves campsite
  • Saturday night is NIGHT DRIVING night!
  • Just about the biggest & bestest off-road site in the UK for all vehicles & abilities
  • Families & dogs welcome
  • The usual friendly Shire LRC marshals & team on hand
  • Teas & coffees on-site for a donation in the charity box
  • Portaloos on-site
  • For each Seven Sisters ticket sold, £5 will go to the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.

Full details & online booking at www.7Sisters.co.uk

• Camp site has great facilities, HOT showers, there's an excellent pub over the road (Gwyn Arms), hot & cold running spanners on site, full electric & water hookups available for caravanists.

PLEASE READ:

• If you are camping, please book through ShireLRC, don't just turn up at the campsite (they reserve a separate area for the event and booking separately confuses everyone)
  • We cannot accept people turning up "on the day" without a booking, either for the arena or for the campsite.
  • We always get enquiries about non-road-legal trucks, quads/bikes etc. so here's the rules. Any questions please contact us!
  • Closing date for bookings is the Wednesday before the event

IMG_3871-2-e1487111317801.jpg

Some flavour from previous events:

Some of Mr Lang's excellent photos from previous events:

• 1 month later...

Looks like Scotland is off. So the question is do people want me to bring an 8 wheel amphibious (sort of) vehicle along?

Would mean popping over to my parents on the Friday night and collecting it but they're not far away.

If there's people familiar with two strokes (it's a bit of an odd one, no need to add oil to mixture and has proper lubricated sump), in particular its a Kohler Commander 18 engine (I think).

Dad's now got it to idle and run smoothly but the moment you go uphill it runs out of power and stalls, if you're quick enough you can yank the choke out and it recovers. Basically looks like someone's bodged a new engine in and all the linkages are to cock but as its not standard we have had no luck in tracking down how they should be set up.

Umm. This particular one is road legal... :ph34r: It's got a Q plate and certainly lap belts in the front, roll cage and winch. If you can ignore the fact that the wiring was done by a blind hermit from cloud cukoo land (I.e. Hit or miss if the lights work). Doubt Dad's bothered sorting that stuff out yet.

So want to change your mind?

21 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Looks like Scotland is off. So the question is do people want me to bring an 8 wheel amphibious (sort of) vehicle along?

Would mean popping over to my parents on the Friday night and collecting it but they're not far away.

If there's people familiar with two strokes (it's a bit of an odd one, no need to add oil to mixture and has proper lubricated sump), in particular its a Kohler Commander 18 engine (I think).

Dad's now got it to idle and run smoothly but the moment you go uphill it runs out of power and stalls, if you're quick enough you can yank the choke out and it recovers. Basically looks like someone's bodged a new engine in and all the linkages are to cock but as its not standard we have had no luck in tracking down how they should be set up.

Sounds like an excuse to Megasquirt it! :P 

50 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Sounds like an excuse to Megasquirt it! :P 

I did wonder about a DIY one (since Dad and I both design electronics for a living). But there's something to be said for mechanical linkages when your 5 miles up a Scottish hillside with a couple of dead deer in the back and the options are: a) fix it b) walk c) phone a friend...

8 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Sounds like there's muck in the fuel system.

Definitely had new fuel in it and from what I remember the last time I saw it (it's at the other end of the country from me) the filter was spotless. Not saying it isn't though.

Benefit of bringing it to 7 sisters is everyone can have an opinion and tinker and I might just leave with a working Argocat :ph34r:. Better check Dad doesn't mind me pinching his "toy".

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Poore said:

Benefit of bringing it to 7 sisters is everyone can have an opinion and tinker and I might just leave with a working Argocat :ph34r:. Better check Dad doesn't mind me pinching his "toy".

Seven Sisters is pretty good for that! I've seen a few good fixes over the years there. Welding up broken stuff and even a timing belt change on the Dlander after it went pop between the site and the campsite.

1 minute ago, Ed Poore said:

Definitely had new fuel in it and from what I remember the last time I saw it (it's at the other end of the country from me) the filter was spotless. Not saying it isn't though.

I was more thinking the carburettor end of things... sludged up with jelly.

But more bores, beards and beers (and some carb cleaner!) and I reckon by the end of the weekend you could well be right :)

36 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I was more thinking the carburettor end of things... sludged up with jelly.

But more bores, beards and beers (and some carb cleaner!) and I reckon by the end of the weekend you could well be right :)

I'll confess - petrol is black magic to me, well I could work it out but I've only ever worked on diesel engines - those be simple. Fuel + Air + Compression => Bang, none of this magic sparking plug nonsense :rolleyes:

The problem with modern fuels is that with water from condensation you get jelly forming in places like the float bowl and all the tiny jets inside a carb, only solution is strip it, and blast it all out :)

Sounds like you are going to make the weekend interesting for some people! :)

To be fair the strip down takes about 10 minutes. I've done most of it just to see what was underneath the filters and so on. After all it's only a 2 cylinder 2 stroke (Kohler CH18 with spec of 62502 - whatever that means). Supposedly the Argo would have originally been fitted with a Kohler M18 engine but someone somewhere has swapped it out.