Seven Sisters off-road weekend 27-28 October, Wales, all welcome!

29 minutes ago, Arjan said:

ArgoCats run on diesel engines...

Well, ours did until the engine died...

The are very much fun !

Only recent ones - outs is a petrol.

Although both Dad and I find the controls very counter-intuitive having driven excavators a lot. If you're going to hit something and need to stop quickly you need to pull both levers back which if your going forwards means you get thrown forwards which means you release the brakes which means you hit what you were trying to miss anyway. Going backwards our instinct is to push the levers forward (away from the thing we're going to hit) which means you release the brakes and hit what you were trying to avoid anyway.

Despite the inefficiencies associated with hydrostatic drives when I spoke with him last night he's sorely tempted to convert it over to hydraulics and then it's a more intuitive system and you can reverse the drive to one set of wheels. Not the Argo way because they prefer the mechanical linkages to keep efficiencies up and weight and engine size down but for his purposes would probably be more suitable.

6 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Only recent ones - outs is a petrol.

Although both Dad and I find the controls very counter-intuitive having driven excavators a lot. If you're going to hit something and need to stop quickly you need to pull both levers back which if your going forwards means you get thrown forwards which means you release the brakes which means you hit what you were trying to miss anyway. Going backwards our instinct is to push the levers forward (away from the thing we're going to hit) which means you release the brakes and hit what you were trying to avoid anyway.

Oh I'm looking forward to this more now.:blink::stirthepot::hysterical:

Mike

1 minute ago, miketomcat said:

Oh I'm looking forward to this more now.:blink::stirthepot::hysterical:

Mike

You're first up Mike :rofl:, we've already made fools of ourselves in front of the family. Ironically my sister (who hasn't driven the digger as much as we have) took like it like a Labrador to water. Jumped straight in and nailed it.

They are fun to drive !

Our V2 petrol engine died (crankshaft ate itself out ofthe block) and as you cannot get parts forthat engine, we replaced it with a diesel power pack and for 150 hrs. or so that worked just fine.

Unfortunatly, the engine stopped working and so far I haven't found the cause.

Controls?

I drive all kinds of things and it is just a bit of getting used to.

To have it either electric or hydro powered would be great - but at the moment I just want thet @$@%@% diesel engine to get to work.

Please keep us posted !!

Just now, landroversforever said:

There are a few bodies of water at Seven Sisters :ph34r:

I know that's why I mentioned the outboard. Technically it should be able to maintain some movement with the tyres (tread dependent) but for our purposes we didn't really need the outboard in the highlands or Wales - hence why I plan on sticking it on my canoe!

12 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Bish - shame about that, at least it sounds like you're willing & able to tackle it.

Ed - you & miketomcat can form the LR4x4 canoe squad :lol: one thing's for sure I'm not going in a Welsh lake in October to fish you out :ph34r:

FFS - I've got to bring the canoe as well now! :im-ok-smiley-emoticon: