Larger transfer box sump

I decided to buy one of these last week, https://www.flatdoguk.com/transfer-case-sump-cover~2197

hopefully to help my transfer box have a easier life & a bit more lubrication, 

as well as replacing the rear wiper motor & washer jet [see 'another wiper motor story' post]  I've just finished fitting the new sump on transfer box & filling with fresh EP80/90 oil. 

so here it is fitted & ready to work.

WP_20180901_20_13_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180901_20_13_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20180901_20_13_42_Pro.jpg

Looking good western  :i-m_so_happy:, fitted one to mine when I rebuilt the transfer box a few months ago , brought mine from Ashcrofts though as I’d ordered a load of other bits . It seals well , as the old transfer box I’d had the cover plate off 3 times and I still used to get a dribble of oil .

cheers Ian 

• Like 1

This sort of thing, in case anyone was wondering: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TMC-2-Strips-Thermax-Temperature-Label-8-Level-Range-B-71-110-C-160-230/253783811418?hash=item3b16b1a55a:g:FjgAAOSwleNbXZaP

You can get different ranges as well, the transfer box should be fine at 110C, but in most cases under 100C would be better for oil life :) 

• Like 1

Does the transfer box get too hot? My TD5 transmission has never shown any signs of distress even after sustained high speed driving (over three hours at motorway speeds) and extended off road driving in Spain with air temperature over 30 degrees C.

Edited by Lightning

Mine used to get really hot in the summer on motorway after an hour or two - Allisported 300tdi with disco transfer box on a 90, the above sump did make a difference to the heat coming through the handbrake gaiter - I drove non stop to Scotland from Taunton last summer prior to fitting it and it was like a hair dryer on my leg

I've got a TDCi now and the cooler doesn't fit but it doesn't seem to get as hot for some reason

5 hours ago, DC_ said:

Hopefully they’re very sticky and after a clean with white spirits on the transfer box it’ll stay there. 😊👍

Brake cleaner or some other solvent, white spirit is not a good cleaner pre-stickering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dailysleaze said:

Certain Disco transfer boxes had temp senders that illuminated a dash warning light at a certain temp (don't know what). They're mounted at the height of the input gear on the LHS

found this one for Disco 1 & 2 transfer boxes https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89937/0/temperature_transmitter_switch___transfer_box___range_rover_classic___discovery_1 

may get someof the temp sickers later to see what its working at.

@garrycol They are quite well tucked up and I've not managed to damage mine in the last 5 years....

Now I will admit I don't do rock crawling like them peeps in the good old "US of A", but do lanes and loads of unpaved tracks in the mountains of Europe....

Maybe Ralph's pic doesn't do the location justice :) 

1.thumb.jpg.7a7c57b9ce06351ab1dbe0c4a97838af.jpg

• Like 1