Larger transfer box sump

17 hours ago, western said:

on the Roamerdrive page it say won't fit V8 models due to exhaust location http://roamerdrive.com/ds_sumpcov.html & in the fitting info -- On V8 engine models there may be insufficient space due to the location of the exhaust pipe

can't see where it says can't be fitted to defender 130's

It was the Flatdog site referenced earlier that said that. Roamerdrive says it fits all diesels, so I should be good.

Thanks

T

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarity - it DOES fit a (factory) V8 127 as that's what mine's on. It came with the LT230 + Roamerdrive I bought so I left it on. The OD puts extra heat into the oil so it's recommended.

Oh yeah, temp labels and DIY exhaust heat-shield picture:

20170612_140544s.jpg

The V8 pipes do get a bit close, hence the shield to prevent heat from going into the box rather than coming out ;)

Oh yeah - I've off-roaded it and not knocked it off yet, you'd have to be trying quite hard to damage it.

47 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just for clarity - it DOES fit a (factory) V8 127 as that's what mine's on. It came with the LT230 + Roamerdrive I bought so I left it on. The OD puts extra heat into the oil so it's recommended.

Oh yeah, temp labels and DIY exhaust heat-shield picture:

20170612_140544s.jpg

The V8 pipes do get a bit close, hence the shield to prevent heat from going into the box rather than coming out ;)

Oh yeah - I've off-roaded it and not knocked it off yet, you'd have to be trying quite hard to damage it.

Where did you get your temp stickers from Fridge? I ordered from the link posted by another kind forum member but they are “pea aye ish”...... I think the ones I got are non reversible and don’t even give off a reading 🙄

are those bolts the originals or did you change them n the sump? 

My stickers are from RS components (part number 555-409 etc.), as mentioned by someone else you need brake cleaner / IPA to get the surface properly de-greased before sticking.

They are all non-reversible but as it's about £2 for a pack of 10 it's hardly breaking the bank to stick one each time you do a service etc.

Edit: The bolts are what came with the transfer box, no idea if they're original, RM "upgrades" or whatever the PO had laying around.

1 hour ago, DC_ said:

I reckon my temp stickers are duff then, I put then on and there’s no clear indication of what the temp is. I’ll order new ones and hope for a better result.

Depends what range you bought - maybe your box doesn't get warm enough to get on the scale?

On 9/2/2018 at 10:48 PM, Lightning said:

Does the transfer box get too hot? My TD5 transmission has never shown any signs of distress even after sustained high speed driving (over three hours at motorway speeds) and extended off road driving in Spain with air temperature over 30 degrees C.

It's mostly an issue if you have an overdrive, especially a Roamerdrive (or Roverdrive as it used to be called) as they not only increase the rpm of the transfer box gears but also share the oil, so make it work harder while also increasing the number of gear interfaces.  They sold these covers with their overdrive, and sell a similarly finned aluminium cover for Series units with the respective overdrive, though that one doesn't increase capacity.

The increased oil capacity will take longer to warm up, but also take longer to cool.  I suppose it may sit against the casing long enough for the increased volume to make a difference and the casing's exterior surface must be more than double that of the original cover, but I'd be curious as to how much difference the oil volume makes rather than the better cooling efficiency of the fins and aluminium and surface area.

The transfer box and Roverdrive  on my 109 get pretty hot, and so I'd imagine an LT230 with Roverdrive would too.  I'd like to see a similar deep casing for the Series model, and both versions fitted with a simple gear driven pump to run an oil cooler, ideally returning the cooled oil through the back end of the Roverdrive to guarantee good lubrication and cooling of that unit.

Even here in the colonies (Canada) you would have to do a lot of dragging and scraping to center a rock that high up, or be driving really fast and out of control. The cross member would stop you first! Actually the steering guard would stop you cold first...from personal experience.

More oil = more cooling and the fins should do a good job of acting as a heat sink. I have one to install. Love shiny new parts!

C