New user new 2a owner

2a-Egg

Morning all, picked up a 67 2a a few weeks back so thought id pop in as im sure I will be asking for advice as I start the journey of ownership. 

It is a solid example with a good running engine, juat the brakes and clutch seem a little iffy. Clutch peddle is all fine movement wise, but the return into the slave fro. Gear box is slow at best. Brakes just need a bleed and adjustment to the shoes I think. 

Here is a pic from yesterday when out feeding 

DSC_1790.jpg

Cheers Adam 

6 hours ago, jordan_meakin said:

Great! What's the plan? You're brave driving it with dodgey brakes and clutch!

Plan is to get her running right, and eventually tidy her right up. But it eont be an over night job. 

Only drove on farm, so not out on roads, not sure that would be a clever idea, stuck to the fields. 

Looks nice, few scars on the front wing I see, love the double tailgate also. If you have trouble with brakes this is definitely the place to get them sorted. (Wonder how I know?🙄😎)

welcome

2 hours ago, DC_ said:

Looks nice, few scars on the front wing I see, love the double tailgate also. If you have trouble with brakes this is definitely the place to get them sorted. (Wonder how I know?🙄😎)

welcome

Sounds like you talk from Experience, I am hoping a bleed and re align the shoes is the issue,  previous owner has replaced shoes, thinking may not of set them up right. or bled them..

The clutch is and odd one, Bled the SC and it was fine, the res has stayed full of Dot so that's good. but when releasing the peddle the return into the SC is unbelievably slow.

I have a ignition barrel that the key is I think snapped inside or the barrel is worn, so tried to remove this to fit a new one but cannot release the sprung ball at the moment.. so the drill might come out.

Thanks for the welcomes. hoping to get her tidied up to use her, then at somepoint I will get her the same colour inside and out. Fire brigade red inside at the moment...

21 hours ago, 2a-Egg said:

The clutch is and odd one, Bled the SC and it was fine, the res has stayed full of Dot so that's good. but when releasing the peddle the return into the SC is unbelievably slow.

The bearing inside the pedal assembly could have seized; take it apart and give it a good clean might solve the problem; you can replace the bolt in the pivot pin for a grease nipple to stop it happening again.

Daan

1 hour ago, Daan said:

The bearing inside the pedal assembly could have seized; take it apart and give it a good clean might solve the problem; you can replace the bolt in the pivot pin for a grease nipple to stop it happening again.

Daan

Thanks for this, sounds like my Saturday will be checking this and bleeding brakes. 

6 hours ago, 2a-Egg said:

Brand-new slave on it and seemed to bleed okay? Could there be issues with spring where it enters the clutch itself? 

With the engine running preferably on axle stands can you get any gears, just wondering if the release bearing is jammed in the pressure plate if a wrong part has been fitted, could be the clutch flexi hose also which has been said :)

50 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

With the engine running preferably on axle stands can you get any gears, just wondering if the release bearing is jammed in the pressure plate if a wrong part has been fitted, could be the clutch flexi hose also which has been said :)

Been able to drive it through fields, and ot selects all gears, second is a little crunchy. Bite is good when it comes. So it could be the bearing might see if i cant put it over my mates pit. 

Bled brakes today but the peddle didn't firm up. As its all shared could the two issue's be linked! 

8 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

There will be a flexi pipe from a steel pipe on the bulkhead to the slave cylinder they tend to get left and either perish and can also collaps inside causing this problem 

Cheers. Will take a look later on today. 

17 hours ago, 2a-Egg said:

Which pipe.. Sorry for potential stupid question. 

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers :D

As well as the flexi pipe mentioned above I have seen the metal pipe get squished when putting an engine back in *not in a Land Rover though

7 hours ago, ThreeSheds said:

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers :D

As well as the flexi pipe mentioned above I have seen the metal pipe get squished when putting an engine back in *not in a Land Rover though

Well I shall supply questions and look forward to the potential answers