New user new 2a owner

2a-Egg

39 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

There's nothing scary in there :) The hardest part is usually cleaning the crispy old gaskets off. A few pots or magnetic tray for screws and https://burlen.co.uk will be able to supply a rebuild kit which will come with everything you need. 

Got a mag tray so thats all good. Truck sounds great now and runs good. Just doesn't like restarting, so seems to be flooded when trying to start after a journey. 

42 minutes ago, jordan_meakin said:

Well, it's dirty!  When you say restarting after a journey, do you mean if you let it stand a bit or, if you turn it off and then immediately go to start it, it won't start?

Stand for a bit. 

Right, the weber was an aftermarket conversion. Some like them, some don't.

There were some hot start problems with them, due to fuel vaporisation, so possible this is what you have here.

I don't know what the adjustments are on it, sorry, but you *may* be able to adjust the running mixture on it, someone else will know if so.

18 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Just found the manual, no running mixture adjustment on it.

So, back to checking float I reckon, this carb doesn't have an o-ring to leak like the zenith (the presumed carb).

15290.627(1).pdf

Think there is only a idle mix setting on it, as I have tweeked that, but if there are potential heat issues on restart thats a pain in the rear... 

Also going a little crazy, where is the float.. 

Edited by 2a-Egg

Float is under the top cover, where the fuel pipe goes in, you need to remove the top of the carb to look at it.

If you search for weber 34 ich carburettor exploded diagram you will find it I am sure :)

Nothing to stop you fitting the old zenith, if you don't mind spending some money. But a rebuild kit for this carb is quite cheap too.

41 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Float is under the top cover, where the fuel pipe goes in, you need to remove the top of the carb to look at it.

If you search for weber 34 ich carburettor exploded diagram you will find it I am sure :)

Nothing to stop you fitting the old zenith, if you don't mind spending some money. But a rebuild kit for this carb is quite cheap too.

Ah okay, well it seems to be running okay, and doesn't smell rich, only time i get a plume is on start up so possibly just the carb being junk... 

My strombergs suffered from the evaporation problem despite being spot on in every other way. Best working theory seems to be that the bioethanol in modern petrol evaporates more readily than the carbs are set up to handle. This is why its fine if you restart immediately, but ten minutes shutdown and the entire intake system gets flooded with a heady mix of petrol fumes. I solved it by fitting an electric fan pointing at the carbs, which seems to cool them just enough to stop the evaporation and that almost fixed it. I also found that plumbing in a return to tank, rather than having the system ending at the carbs let cool petrol circulate more readily and that was enough to fix it totally. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Mine was so bad it actually wouldn't start! Agreed if it's just a puff of black I'd live with it. 

Last night I had to sit doin bugger all for 15 minutes for it to start again... It has to be the carb causing the issue, it is dirty so might be worth taking it off to clean, unless there's a way of cleaning it whilst in situ?