New user new 2a owner

2a-Egg

keep on going.

I'm 5 years in (going for my first MOT in france, CT next thursday!)

I managed to get the tub of, or basically everything behind the front seats and work on the back, before placing it back on with new wiring.
Managed to do a disc brake conversion.

When I make MOT there's front half electrics that need replacement even though I managed to get it all working and fused. And my engine is tired as @#$%^
And likely all new rubbers/bushings (on springs and steering and... all) would improve my ride. That's for the next 5 years ;)

Edited by xychix

I had to do mine in my front garden, my garage at the time being only big enough to work on one assembly (engine, transmission etc) at a time.  Some don’t even have that much space.  I envy those with proper workshops and machining tools.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I had to do mine in my front garden, my garage at the time being only big enough to work on one assembly (engine, transmission etc) at a time.  Some don’t even have that much space.  I envy those with proper workshops and machining tools.

Yeah, it's currently on the parents drive so think if I stripped it I might be disowned haha. 

I made a school boy error today, delivery turned up and one of the headlights is LHD. I thought I'd hit buy on the RhD twice. Obviously not haha

I now have the grill soaking in paint thinners as it's been painted black. And today have taken the carb off to overhaul it. Currently it's just drying out after a spray of cleaner on it. 

IMG-20190719-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190719-WA0010.jpg

Edited by 2a-Egg

So I have done the service on the carb, gave it a good clean out and now starting the truck it's running silly rich. Am I right in saying it has to be warm before you tweek the idle mixture? It's spluttering like crazy 

14 minutes ago, jordan_meakin said:

Do you have a Haynes? Decent set up instructions in there. First thing is to make sure your timing is spot on. Then, get the engine up to temperature and follow the Haynes manual.

It's rough as hell cold, spotting out smoke.. One step forward, two back ha

I hate carbs. Probably because I've never had a decent new one on a Landrover, and couldn't get the rebuilt ones to work properly.

My next series will be injected. And electronically sparked.

I know carbs and dizzies can work well, but injection and computer control is more accurate, reliable, efficient and clean. 

11 minutes ago, steve b said:

It sounds like it's flooding , take the top off the carb and check the float/needle valve are all ok

cheers

Steve b

Yeah it does sound like it's getting too much fuel. How can I check float as its not visible. Could the float of gone back in wrong position as I've put new part in? 

This should be in the repair manual. Page 40 of 50 on part 3, if you have the download, page 19-10, if you have the paper version.

Edit photo of a monitor screen, sorry.

IMG_20190720_060428.jpg

On 7/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, 2a-Egg said:

I just don't have the space to do a full strip down rebuild. Which is a pain as it is something it probably does need. 

It's a webber 34 ich. So maybe different to the Haynes. Only has idle and mixture 

Couple of silly little jobs today. The grill had been painted black, so I've put it back to silver as I did not like black, didn't look right, also sanded back the rear chassis and lift handles and resprayed. Looking to take the seat box off in the week 

IMG-20190721-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20190721-WA0012.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jordan_meakin said:

Nice! A well worn grill but much better au naturel than silly black.

IT was poorly painted black (looked brushed on)... So dipped in thinners, wire brushed off, then rattle can primer and silver. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hunting - all other things being equal - is usually because its lean, so yes, the float height could be having an impact. Could also be an air leak, so waft a bit of carb cleaner around anywhere there's a gasket or connection on the intake side to make sure you've not got anything leaking past. The revs will change if carb cleaner gets pulled in through a leak.