Jump to content
2a-Egg

New user new 2a owner

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Hunting - all other things being equal - is usually because its lean, so yes, the float height could be having an impact. Could also be an air leak, so waft a bit of carb cleaner around anywhere there's a gasket or connection on the intake side to make sure you've not got anything leaking past. The revs will change if carb cleaner gets pulled in through a leak. 

If lean its acting like rich which I know it can do. Hoping no leaking. Guessing a potential leak could be anywhere on the carb to inlet or on the inlet to engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it stop hunting with the choke out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Does it stop hunting with the choke out? 

Not tried that to be fair.. As didn't have alot of time, just hoping I've not fudge the float level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a good test, it'll tell you quite a lot. Remind me what carb you're running? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Would be a good test, it'll tell you quite a lot. Remind me what carb you're running? 

Webber 34ich was fitted by a previous owner, so it is only idle you can play with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to clean up the winch I have, so have redone the gasket on the underside. And thought I'd clean the base, ended up. Taking it off and doing a proper clean up and will then paint it up. 

IMG-20190813-232401-083.jpg
IMG-20190813-WA0014.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely!! I'm slightly jealous, despite having finished my hydraulic capstan build. 

How's the carb investigation going, or has rain stopped play? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Lovely!! I'm slightly jealous, despite having finished my hydraulic capstan build. 

How's the carb investigation going, or has rain stopped play? 

Rain has properly stopped play, it's something I'm going to look at Sunday pm after I'm back from a fishing trip in Devon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone know how to remove the winch drive shaft, I have a new spring arriving but the thing is solid, have taken two grub screws out but it won't budge, lubricant and rust inhibitor added too, still no movement 

Edited by 2a-Egg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have to resort to heat and a press if you're satisfied you've got the fasteners removed. Do you have a parts book with a diagram for it so you can double check?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lo-fi said:

You may have to resort to heat and a press if you're satisfied you've got the fasteners removed. Do you have a parts book with a diagram for it so you can double check?

Def got both the little fasteners out. Damn spring being completely fudged on it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, lo-fi said:

Lovely!! I'm slightly jealous, despite having finished my hydraulic capstan build. 

How's the carb investigation going, or has rain stopped play? 

Carb investigation just done, so with choke full open on start it's actually a little worse. Then when up to temp I put the idle mix fully in and it runs lovely, when I turn it out slightly it starts popping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In these kind of temps you'll only need a smidge of choke when the engine is cold, if its set up correctly otherwise. Full out will definitely be too much. 

If you can get it set up to run nicely hot you can't be too far off, but often having to wind the idle mixture right in means there's a little leak somewhere. Does it drive nicely now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

In these kind of temps you'll only need a smidge of choke when the engine is cold, if its set up correctly otherwise. Full out will definitely be too much. 

If you can get it set up to run nicely hot you can't be too far off, but often having to wind the idle mixture right in means there's a little leak somewhere. Does it drive nicely now?

Not got it on road at mo as doing seals on bits.. So have floors out.. I need to have a proper look at it rather than a few minutes here and there. 

 

Just can't see how or where air might be getting in. 

 

Edited by 2a-Egg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right so the carb is clean, the tappets are done. The engine sounds sweet... 

 

The exhaust however sounds.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, that's not too bad for an old 2.25. Sounds like the timing may be a little off is all. I'll video some running for you over the weekend at Leafers at T'pit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, timing, or worn dizzy - I have fixed that in the past with an electronic points conversion, was like night and day difference at idle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yeah, timing, or worn dizzy - I have fixed that in the past with an electronic points conversion, was like night and day difference at idle.

Might just service that then as have a few bits and will do dizzy spin timing ha or borrow a strobe 

31 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Ah, that's not too bad for an old 2.25. Sounds like the timing may be a little off is all. I'll video some running for you over the weekend at Leafers at T'pit 

Can strobe it at some point. Will get it hot and set carb properly too though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loosen the pinch bolt at the base plate on the distributor until it just moves and rotate it clockwise a little to advance it . Mark it first so you know where you started . This can be done while ticking over and when it sounds smooth then check with a light if you want to. It's nearly there and while it "chugs" it is even .

It may need a bit more timing adjustment once it's driving but you are almost done I think.

cheers

Steve b 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2a-Egg said:

Can strobe it at some point. Will get it hot and set carb properly too though

Get the timing set right before fine tuning the carb. You'll find you need to redo it after getting the timing sorted. 

Electronic points are worth every penny, as Bowie says. I'm running Powerspark from Simonbbc and I'd heartily recommend. 

Looks like you're very close to getting it nicely sorted :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah mine was Powerspark from Simon too, excellent, excellent things...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Get the timing set right before fine tuning the carb. You'll find you need to redo it after getting the timing sorted. 

Electronic points are worth every penny, as Bowie says. I'm running Powerspark from Simonbbc and I'd heartily recommend. 

Looks like you're very close to getting it nicely sorted :)

Is it bad that I want it to be as original as possible in the engine bay though... I know its got a webber carb but the rest is as it would of been.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The powerspark is entirely hidden except for one wire that goes off to the coil, you really won't notice it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, it stealth installs by default inside the dizzy in place of the mechanical points. It's a bolt on job too, so no need to drill, cut or otherwise modify.

Biggest advantages over mechanical points are:

Never needs adjusting 

Reliably makes the strongest spark it can manage 

Waterproof 

Won't furr up and corrode, needing replacement or fettling

Won't kill the coil if you leave the ignition on

Fair play and kudos for not wanting to chop it about, but even the most die hard of die hard rivet counters would have trouble grumbling about that particular mod :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lo-fi said:

 

Fair play and kudos for not wanting to chop it about, but even the most die hard of die hard rivet counters would have trouble grumbling about that particular mod :)

You haven't met my 'friends' over on Morris minors OC forum that swear they have never had a set of points fail on them.

So far up themselves they've managed to tie themselves in quite some considerable knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy