Defender 110 Alloy wheels

Hi there,

First post on this forum, tried to look for an answer before posting and could not find one. 

I have bought some Discovery Freestyle alloy wheels to fit onto my 2008 Defender 110 but have read that they cannot be fitted due to their weight capacity per wheel is not sufficient. I have spoken to a LR parts supplier who said they will be OK but have read that they are not is that correct ? 

Cheers

Ok thanks, will now put them on ebay.

I have some steel rims (not the original steels) which I took off a 90 I had will they be insufficient weight wise. Afraid I do not know what they are and I doubt they will have a max weight figure inside the wheel. 

Cheers.

Edited by JonR3012

2 hours ago, western said:

look for the max load numbers on inside of the wheel, they were never factory fitted to any 110 model, only the boost, Blindo, sawtooth alloys are rated for 110 maximum loaded weight. 

Not Land Rover (but then neither are Blindo?) but Zu's are 1400kg each, at least I think that's what I remember being stamped on mine and Craddock's appear to confirm it.

but Blindo alloys are weight rated for Miltary 110 XD/Wolf WMIK-R  vehicles & they run much higher max loaded weight than civvy 110's. 

the standard LR 5.5 inch wide steels are fine for 110's, they were/are standard factory fit for normall 110's, if the heavy duty pack is specced thn the vehicles get the XD/Wolf steel wheels.

You can use those rims as I do on my 110 but your rear axle weight is limited to 1700kgs and not 1850kgs.

I cannot find any UK legal requirement for axle limits and wheel limits to match but you are certainly governed by the lower of the two.

It's not really a case of is it okay or not, or even will the wheels stand up to it or not (they will). And as above there's no specific law that says you can't do it. Does it make the vehicle unsafe by doing it? One could argue both ways, only a court of law could give a legal decision one way or the other. It's more a technicality that could potentially land you in trouble in a situation where the vehicle was scrutinised following an accident etc. - by an insurance company for example. The chance of it ever causing a problem is miniscule, but it's there nonetheless.

Given that alloy wheels exist which are rated for the purpose and neither expensive or rare, I can't see any reason not to use those instead. However the vehicle will not fall apart if you chose to use the lower-rated alloys.

• 2 weeks later...