300tdi with ZF auto box into 2.25 with LT77

SvBeek

Hi all,

I'm considering putting a 300tdi with the ZF autobox into 110 that is currently a 2.25 petrol with lt77.

The idea is not to use the rear mounts on the chassis, but buy the 300tdi crossmember that has mounts for the lt230. So the engine will sit in the original position. Imho this is a better option, so i can use original exhaust parts, oil cooler pipes, intercooler pipes, etc. 

But what needs to happen to the front mounts? Will the engine fit on them, or be located differently? Anyone can shed a light on this?

If the 2.25 petrol has the same mounts as the 200tdi then you’ll need to weld new mounts on the chassis as the 300tdi mounts are totally different. I’m in the process of rebuilding a 300tdi 90 which I’m fitting an auto to , I’ve got a build thread running in the members vehicle section called Ian’s 300tdi 90 rebuild if you look back to the beginning there’s some photos of the chassis which might help. Do you know that you’ll also have to drill the chassis to fit the gearbox crossmember , but a good idea . The 90 is still totally stripped so if you’d like some photos or measurements I’ll take some for you . 

Cheers Ian 

The 300Tdi mounts are a flat type rather than the angled ones that the V8, 200Tdi and all previous 4-cylinder engines used. You'll need to source some or make them, then weld them on in the correct position.

Your plan to use the 300Tdi crossmember should work well, you'll need later propshafts, floor, tunnel and seatbox too but they shouldn't hard to find an it's a small price to pay for having a standard(ish) setup parts-wise. You may need to notch the crossmember where it sits against the chassis as sometimes it conflicts with the seatbox front mount bracket. On later chassis this bracket is sloped to avoid this. Not a big deal though.

A 300Tdi gearbox crossmember should bolt straight up to the chassis from what I've seen, but I've never seen a chassis old enough to have a 2.25 in the engine bay. Certainly my 200Tdi chassis has had the holes in the correct places. The later crossmember picks up on several of the 'triangle' of holes each side that the bolt-on 200Tdi gearbox mounts use, plus one of the lower ones for the removed round tube crossmember - sticking just down from the chassis a bit.

The chassis is actually a 5 year old Marsland galvanised one, so i recon it has the right holes already. They make them quite generic. Probably also the notch mentioned above.

Some pics / measurements of the front mounts would definitely help. I did see Steve Parkers sells weld on mounts

I’ll take some photos of the mounts and measurements for you tomorrow, one other thing is when I brought my auto box the disco cross member was bolted on it and I’m pretty sure there was a slight difference between that and the defender R380 one , think it was just the end plates but I’ll take a photo of them tomorrow. Not a big problem but it might mean the holes won’t line up , but I’ll check for you .

We have got a dead Tdiauto Discovery here that I could take some photos of. Trouble is that its behind a few other dead vehicles at the moment, and surrounded by nettles.

I can try at the weekend if no one else comes up with anything

If it’s a newish chassis it’ll have the holes - they all have holes to fit both the earlier bolt-on (V8/4-cyl up to 200Tdi) gearbox mounts or the later cross-member mounted style. Later Td5 and Tdci used welded-on mounts on the chassis and they went back to a standalone crossmember in the old place, but the holes are still there.

Disco crossmember has square end plates, the Defender one is more triangle shaped. I suspect with some minor modification the Disco one would suit. But plenty of Defender ones available if not. YRM do new galvanised ones. 

Took these few for you today , 1st is the cross mem end plate from a disco

SAM_1560.JPG.41b50b0856c7ce12c30517865d2828c9.JPG

this is the Defender one, I'm sure the disco one caught on the chassis at the top .

SAM_1564.JPG.911710188369bb88fe744dec8a40236c.JPG

these are the engine mounts

SAM_1561.JPG.c228eb19874d136598b1a9325e314b17.JPG

SAM_1563.JPG.c2ad77856831638a221297ffd179855c.JPG

SAM_1562.JPG.b6ee55b386ec4f83fb863c37ef0ac0c1.JPG

And a rough measurement of the distance from the front cross member , it's hard to get an accurate one on your own as there is nowhere flat to out the tape against .

SAM_1565.JPG.01ebf1b895869889870cebd7226e1056.JPG

SAM_1566.JPG.241818a653f060de383e9b8b139c8678.JPG

If you need any more just ask and I'll get them for you .

cheers Ian

And that makes me think.. since the 300tdi is basicly the same block as the 200tdi with some improvements.. wouldnt it have the holes for the earlier engine mount bracket?

Would be ideal if i could just bolt my old brackets on and use the existing mounts. Would someone with a 300tdi engine be so kind to make some pics that show the position of the 300tdi mounts on the block and the holes they use?

Can take some tomorrow for you but the mounts are totally different, there’s a plate that bolts to the block then the mounts bolt to the plate. Like this 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=300tdi+engine+mounts&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=6Dr8hwBBQm5XkM:

will look at the block for you tomorrow.

2 hours ago, SvBeek said:

And that makes me think.. since the 300tdi is basicly the same block as the 200tdi with some improvements.. wouldnt it have the holes for the earlier engine mount bracket?

Would be ideal if i could just bolt my old brackets on and use the existing mounts. Would someone with a 300tdi engine be so kind to make some pics that show the position of the 300tdi mounts on the block and the holes they use?

the 200 uses the forward set of threaded holes on each side of the block, the 300 uses the set of holes further back.