FL 2 2013 Foam boot insert / tyre repair question

Kryten602

I've just bought a 2013 FL and it has foam insert tray under the boot liner (see attached) with a 3rd party tyre repair inflator. My question is what else is missing? I'm assuming a jack and a couple of wrenches and a bottle of sealant. But what is the point of a jack if you're not going to change the wheel? Strangely on the underneath of the boot liner is a round, tyre size witness mark that suggests a wheel or rim has been sitting there. I am a little confused as there is no way a spare wheel can fit in there with this foam insert.

Appreciate any suggestions from seasoned FL owners.

Freelander 2 2013 boot insert.jpg

Edited by Kryten602

lrparts.ru in this section

Freelander 2 / LR2 (GCAT) 2006-

1 INFORMATION AND CUSTOMISATION

INFORMATION AND INDIVIDUAL. PROCESSING ... 100-03 INFORMATION AND INDIVIDUAL. PROCESSING ... 100-04 INFORMATION AND INDIVIDUAL. DEVELOPMENT ...

100-02/05 TOOLS

it shows the tray for spare wheel well in boot.  LR025176 https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/177093/0/tyre_repair_tray_kit_freelander_2

That one looks like it would fit inside the wheel, Ralph, the one above appears bigger, and it is suggested that it fills the entire wheel well, and that the spare has been removed.

I'm still suspicious that it is not from that car.

Maybe a rogue dealer pinching the spare, putting a can of sealant in there and saying 'they all have no spares, sir'. The following day the mint condition spare gets shoved on the bay.

Not that I am cynical you understand :)

Thanks Gentlemen. Appreciate your comments. I'm inclined to agree that there has been a spare due to the witness mark, but this foam insert is an absolute perfect fit and after a bit of Googling this insert does show up under Freelander 2. So I'm pretty sure it's from a late FL2 just not this one. I'm probably going to get hold of a 17" wheel + tyre and jack and see how they fit in the well. The odd thing is I haven't had to change a wheel on the roadside for nearly 50 years, but I just feel more comfortable with a proper tyre and not a 'Slime' Repair kit.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

we were looking ( briefly) to trade in our FL2 for an evoque, they are just too small, anyway when i pointed out there was no spare just the foam, the dealer said i could keep the spare from the FL2!! i think he picked up on the look I gave him and funnily i didnt trust anther word or vehicle from the dealer - he tried a disco sport after that  - it was only 3 years old but was in worse condition than our 13 YO FL2 that has 3 times the miles - ahh no thanks...

dealers get up to anything - not point any fingers but i wont be back to dundonald to visit a Premium dealership

Most modern vehicles now come without a spare or tool kit, both of which are normally (expensive) optional extras.

Generally when people change cars (newer similar model) they'll remove the the spare if they've bought one, and put back the original foam insert that fits in place of the spare, like the OP's vehicle.

We often find nothing in the boot of trade in's as the owners have kept the spare and not replaced the insert, adding to the cost of a used car prep'.

• 10 months later...

Hello all,

I have just bought a 2010 HSE Freelander 2 in mint condition and it also has one of these with nothing in it. It is an absolute mystery to me why the insert has the specific cutouts in it but no trace on line of anything LR expect to fit into the spaces. I hate mysteries and like things to be complete. If anyone has any knowledge of what LR intend the user to put into these spaces, other than one's own sourced tools, etc. I would really love to know.

Many thanks.