series 2a clutch issue

Keeper96

I guys

as some of you may have seen I have a series 2a that I'm trying to fix up.

the latest issue is that the clutch pedal doesn't return when pressed down and has to be pulled back up, there is no pressure on the pedal on the way up or down, and the system has been bled.

I'm starting to think that possibly the wrong clutch has been fitted and the clutch fork isn't against the clutch plate which could cause these symptoms?

the engine is 2.25 diesel from a series 3, do series 3 and series 2 have different clutches?

thanks

jamie

Clutch plate is different, I think, and the 2a petrol clutch is different to the 2a diesel, if I recall.

The cover is probably different, too.

I don't know about the flywheel, though. It's time to dig out the parts books.

Yes , the covers are different between Series 2 and 3 - the original 2/2a spring cover with three release fingers is 12 - 15 mm taller off the flywheel face . Later diaphragm spring covers for Series 1 & 2/2a have a ring on the fingers to correct the height  . The Series 3 diaphragm clutch has the release bearing contacting the fingers directly , much the same as a Defender . The clutch pedal should return anyway as it should have a return spring hooked from the pedal arm to a small lug on one of the upper pedal box mounting bolts . Have you checked the cross shaft pins and sleeve between the release bearing housing and the operating lever at the slave ?

Flywheel face distance to the flywheel housing face is the same petrol to diesel and as I recall the clutch cover is also the same petrol and diesel  . Hope that helps

cheers

Steve b