Discovery 3 Limp on acceleration

Hercu

I have a 2006 Disco 3 TDV 6 2.7 S and most recently I received an 'Engine System Fault'. What I have noticed is that when I press the accelerator pedal to a point where the vehicle changes down to lower gear, then the car shows 'Special programs off' and goes like into limp mode and there is no acceleration after it reaches this point. I then switch the vehicle off and after a half a minute I restart, the vehicle has gone out of limp mode and I can move on again. 

I can even sit it to Idle half a minute and can pull off with full power again but the moment I floor it the same symptoms appear and hearing kind of whistle

New Sub +/- 2000 km

New Battery…Recon Turbo…Refurbished injectors

Cleaned MAP and MAF sensors

EGR blanked and butterfly removed.

Checked for split turbo hose and Actuator is moving freely

Show “coolant level low” and awaiting new container with float sensor

Changed oil on 1000 km, new filters Air/diesel/ Oil 

Auto box new filter and filled Dexron 6 and Dr Tranny

Could it be Oxygen sensors ???

Hi Hercu

Have you had water ingress at some time, perhaps blocked sun roof drains causing wet carpet & water / dampness in the sills?

The reason I ask is that there's a notorious wiring junction that is easily corroded under such circumstances.
It throws up an enormous range of random faults & symptoms such as HDC, gearbox change issues, special programmes unavailable and a host more.
I had it on mine.

Its a red wire forming a "Y" connection in the loom bundle located in the drivers footwell close to the kick panel.

I'm really sorry but I'm struggling to find either a suitable link or photos of it at the mo. Ureka, only an hour later 😁

The thread can be found at https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/transmission-fault-hdc-traction-control-off-etc-137607.html?highlight=U0416-86+(2F)&start=15

HTH

Untitled.tiffnormal_BD9CD900-F98F-4143-92FA-68026E003CE1.jpeg.cfca8e0d4a19b7ad55b6436141358700.jpegnormal_09BBABDC-CAFD-4F12-9980-CEDF928850BB.jpeg.7c3637d488d34a62a8f42475c08e3707.jpeg

Edited by Magnet6x6
zpellin init
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2018 at 1:15 PM, Hercu said:

Reb 78  Thank you

Brake switch ordered and really hope it will solve this irritating problem

Magnet 6 x 6

Totally possible and worth a check Thank you so much.

You're most welcome. Let us know how you get on

• Thanks 1

Thank you once again

Found the splice in good shape with no corrosion....resealed 

Opened the module connections and slight green corrosion on pinns ....cleaned with Electro clean and refitted

Now just awaiting new brake switch to see if problem solved...

Started but after a while showed "Engine System Fault" again

Did not yet take it for test drive

Alternator charges at 14.9 volts...

Find some wires removed on connecter as per pic...Don't know for what it was originally (Red Circle)528936065_Splitoff.jpg.63a17084121875e9843572d56225e1cb.jpg

Also found the carpet to be wet and will fix the sunroof drip off...whilst open

Missing wires.jpg

Module pins cleaned.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 10:04 AM, reb78 said:

Brake switch. Change that and i reckon all will be solved. 

On 9/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, Magnet6x6 said:

Hi Hercu

Have you had water ingress at some time, perhaps blocked sun roof drains causing wet carpet & water / dampness in the sills?

The reason I ask is that there's a notorious wiring junction that is easily corroded under such circumstances.
It throws up an enormous range of random faults & symptoms such as HDC, gearbox change issues, special programmes unavailable and a host more.
I had it on mine.

Its a red wire forming a "Y" connection in the loom bundle located in the drivers footwell close to the kick panel.

I'm really sorry but I'm struggling to find either a suitable link or photos of it at the mo. Ureka, only an hour later 😁

The thread can be found at https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/transmission-fault-hdc-traction-control-off-etc-137607.html?highlight=U0416-86+(2F)&start=15

HTH

Untitled.tiffnormal_BD9CD900-F98F-4143-92FA-68026E003CE1.jpeg.cfca8e0d4a19b7ad55b6436141358700.jpegnormal_09BBABDC-CAFD-4F12-9980-CEDF928850BB.jpeg.7c3637d488d34a62a8f42475c08e3707.jpeg

On 9/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, Magnet6x6 said:

You're most welcome. Let us know how you get on

Thank you

Progress on Fault Finding or either not finding major wrongs

The Split off was not corroded and there was little corrosion on pins off Module 

Cleaned with Electrical cleaner

Battery is new and Alternator Charges on 14.7 volt

Still awaiting Brake light switch as final hope to solve this issue

Next Report what have been done

Received Brake switch and Installed

Had bonnet open warning ....... installed new bonnet switch

Coolant level low warning........ Got new expansion tank with sensor and installed

Checked all bulbs and seems to be original...no black recidue or any sighn of poor contact

But still I get the bong..."Special programs Off" and total loss of power if accelerating hard

I can at that speed (120 km/h) go to Neutral without switching ignition off/on allow 5 seconds and the engine will rev up normally...and I can continue driving normally

Slow ecceleration does not cause the vehicle to cut power..Just when I put my foot down

Tried on speed control+++++ (from set 100 Kph ++++++++and somewhere 130 Kph it cuts power)..means it is not the eccelerator pedal switch/sensor ????

Now awaiting proper Diognostic scanner and hopefully can fine this "ghost"

I'm not familiar with the TD6 so forgive if this is a silly question but
is there any chance that the Turbo hose is failing?
I had a D1 300tdi and the inside of the turbo hose delaminated.
Under heavy revs it closed up causing the same sort of symptoms
Only found it by reving the engine from under the bonnet and fidling

Just a thought, HTH

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Magnet6x6 said:

I'm not familiar with the TD6 so forgive if this is a silly question but
is there any chance that the Turbo hose is failing?
I had a D1 300tdi and the inside of the turbo hose delaminated.
Under heavy revs it closed up causing the same sort of symptoms
Only found it by reving the engine from under the bonnet and fidling

Just a thought, HTH

It is totally possible..And I will investigate...I changed a turbo once on my Di due to a delaminating turbo hose...

Only by revving I could not see but need to take it off and inspect thoroughly..

Got a super link where the LPFP comes to question

Checked the stream from the Schrader Valve and truly poor..

According to Robbie on Disco 3 UK forum should have at least 0.5 bar and the amps drawn close to 9 Amps.

Will get hold of a low pressure gauge and test but my gut feel says that little stream is not even 0.1 bar

Fuel fromLPFP.jpg

Set Up.jpg

3 hours ago, Magnet6x6 said:

Hercu if you've got Robbie on the job you couldn't be in better hands

Good luck

Magnet....Truly Robbie knows his Disco's and I am "eating" up his info on the internet...

Although we are worlds apart I can feel the integrity and enthusiasm of that guy on his reports and writings...

Kind regards

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Black sludge?

Bowie....Seems like Algae...Cleaned out and reinstalled plus new filter but the loss of power on acceleration  is still there

Diagnostic fault code P132B showed ...Turbo was reconditioned 2 months ago..Actuator moves freely..

Injector 3 is also not in Spec (Bit High)

1157982166_Injectorfault.jpg.0a22ad124c0b74aa1df781d77707ce86.jpg97161260_Faultcode.jpg.eed0335ae78b4b4d0aa706cc80da4955.jpg

New Diesel filter installed after cleaning LPFP filter/strainer

All the quick fixes tried to no avail...The dreaded "Engine System Fault PO132B" is glued:rolleyes: to the scanner

Cleared and direct after start it is back...The vehicle drive well on normal acceleration but the moment more power is needed and pedal position 60% + it goes to limp..

Everything shows back to Turbo Actuator and although I can hear the stepper motor whining there is very little movement on the arm itself..

I made the wire hook and can push/pull the actuator at most 3 mm...I have seen it should move about an inch = 2 cm..

The turbo was reconditioned 3 months ago...

Doused it with (Q 20/W40) for 2 days now without success...

The removal of turbo and maybe replacement seems to become a reality now....??? (15  hrs in sito:unsure:)

• Sad 1

I gather it's in an awkward position to get to, but on other vehicles I've seen people drill a hole in the exhaust housing to pipe a little oven cleaner into, which clears the carbon sludge jamming the vanes and saves taking the turbo off. Drill and tap for a taper thread bung to seal it back up after. Whether that's any good for emission control gear downstream I couldn't vouch for, though! Can you get any more movement just working it back and forth with the wire? 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

I gather it's in an awkward position to get to, but on other vehicles I've seen people drill a hole in the exhaust housing to pipe a little oven cleaner into, which clears the carbon sludge jamming the vanes and saves taking the turbo off. Drill and tap for a taper thread bung to seal it back up after. Whether that's any good for emission control gear downstream I couldn't vouch for, though! Can you get any more movement just working it back and forth with the wire? 

Lo-fi

Good tip thanks....Although something feels awkward jiggling it with the wire...it is like a solid "clunck"...like it gets stuck on heat shield or maybe something was dropped, Nut, washer etc and got stuck between actuator arm and turbo body or heat shield....I was sitting, jiggling the turbo with my head buried in the wheel well for 2 hours this morning...:im-ok-smiley-emoticon:after dousing it with Q20/W40 for 24 hours

As said the turbo was reconditioned with the installation of the new sub 3 months ago and EGR's blanked and cat removed the vehicle only did about 2000 km and each time filled applied 2So 500 ml per tank

After installing new engine..3 months ago..Replaced Tappet covers......Injectors was taken out in sito and tested..replaced...Taken out again and another refurbished set installed...

Somewhere something went wrong....!!

I am looking to buy a probe cam to try and see at the back of the actuator arm..(Already quoted new turbo:banned:)

• 3 months later...

Hi Hercu, did you solve your problem with limp mode??  I have problem with exact thing for over three months, exact code p132b , I instal new turbo last month, and problem with limp mode and p132b code is still here. I appreciate any help, this driving me nuts😰😤

I tried all the options I've read in various forums, that code is closely related to turbo accutator but the main problem is that I put new turbo and problem is still there🤷‍♂️

I did not remove cat, can that be a problem that cause limp mode??

• 9 months later...