Alternative driver seat in a 110

Arjan

Right, I tried searching but did not really get a good answer, so I'll ask you kind knowledgable lot..

I need for my 185 cm heavily build body a better seat in the 110.

No rear bulkhead and access to the batteries below is not an issue as they are fully switched and have a remote charge connector.

I have tried the Exmoor ones and they are not for me.

So, what is a good seat to look for from other cars to go in ?

And, ideally, do you have any pics of thos seats in a 110....

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Thanks Mike.

I'll have a look at those as I must have one somewhere here...

They are a little higher than defender but I don't find it a problem especially if you have a smaller steering wheel. You need a frame to fit them if you want to puck up the defender bolt holes but this does allow them to slide over the lip at the back of the seatbox.

Mike

I've possibly got some of the more radical ones in mine. I've got a set out of a BMW era L322. I'm not as tall as you but find it quite comfortable, I've had much taller than me sit in them and all are pleasantly surprised. Can't remember if Mike sat in it properly when he helped with my windscreen. Yes you do sit a bit higher but the seats are so big and comfy there's not a huge amount in it, the people who have driven it at 6ft say its a little high but not noticeably much less visibility than normal because you can send them back quite a way. I think with normal 110 seats in the back the rear passengers (when I have humans and not dogs) would be cramped but I've fitted the rear seats too so they're much deeper and further back so you get more room than normal. Boot is a little smaller as a Co sequence but when I fabbed the seat base I made it so you have most of the width of the floor (minus 2" or so) than is now unobstructed so plenty of space for long items making it more usable.

I've chopped a bit off the front and back of the runners (in hindsight not needed) and had to move the mounting holes (drilled out old captive plates and relocated them).

I've also removed the front motor and bracket to drop the front low enough to be comfortable (they're designed for a flat not sloped floor). If you're a little bigger than me then a smaller steering wheel wouldn't go amiss, I'm too much of a cheap skate to change it at the moment.

In terms of getting the electrics working I got it with the two control panels on the sides and you only need to give it 12V and you're away. Haven't wired up the heaters or TVs yet...

When I get a bit of time I'm going to build a flatter seat box and reinstate the front motor but at the moment it's fine. Lifted up to full height you can just about get underneath the seats if you need to, I carry a few spares under the drivers seat and there's just enough room to attach big jump leads under the passenger one as well.

There is a thread in Tools and Fabrication about it, although never quite finished the write up.

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.1df07605e2549e91e8cc564f84bd1465.JPG

BMW......

Interesting as they are around here - and I don't have to have electric ones as I'm the only driver....

I'll try to find the tread you mention.

thank You.

@Mik - yes, they need a frame. I have them in the Series... Stupid me. Smaller wheel is perfect.

It was still an L322 set of seats but they're the ones that fold half way up the back. The Ford era ones do lumbar support by way of an air bag that can be moved. Although I think they originally came from a 7 series before being tweaked by Land Rover.

You can't adjust them manually so electrics are needed.

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Excuse my ignorance.....

English is not my native tongue...

Thanks

Not at all. Your English is better than mine.

As soon as I saw your reply I realised my mistake in assuming everyone called them Scooby's. They are nice seats though how they would fit I don't know. RX7 and smart are other seats that would be worth a look. I've got freelander seats in the ibex but they won't work with the seatbox.

Mike