Disco cuts out

DiscoHere

Hi all 

This is the 2nd time i am asking this so hope someone can help. Normally my vehicle starts and runs perfectly but from time to time (not often) It develops a simple problem that really has me completely baffled.  Disco (94, TD5) starts perfectly and runs for approx 1/2 second then cuts out.  No amount of cranking will start it then.  It turns over perfectly but sounds like there is some immobilization system at work.  That i will admit is just a guess.  Anyhow if I get out of the vehicle and lock it with the key (fob) and then unlock it....it normally starts.  This is so erratic that i am baffled.

I thought it might be the key itself (still could be) or the immobilization system not reading the key.  It is not the 

Fuel pump......new

Injector seals.....new

All speculation and replies welcome 

Hugh 

Hi Hugh,

If you're not already a member, have a search through this forum.

http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/  It's soley for the D2.

One question - when it stops, have you tried the purge cycle (Ign on and pump throttle pedal 5 times to prime system) If this works it's air in the system. As you've already changed the pump and seals (with genuine I hope!) then check the fuel filter housing as this can get porous, and also the air bleed valve on the top of the housing. (I think it's the rear outer one)

HTYH,

Griff

4 hours ago, Ally V8 said:

It would help if you could confirm what car it is, you say a 94 TD5 .  A 1994 Discovery would be a TDI,  wheras a 1999 on would be a TD5.

All the previous posts from the OP are Td5 related so we can assume that’s confirmation, and the 94 is just a ‘typo’.

Yes Ally it was just a typo that i should have caught.  The year is in fact 2004 and definitely a Disco 2 TD5..

Bear yes they were both genuine replacement parts and I have also changed the fuel filter.  As the car will start immediately following a reset of the central locking/ alarm system I am guessing it is not a fuel fault.  

Thanks for the suggestions anyhow.  Keep them coming please 

Hugh 

My own TD5 auto does this now and then,my take on it is that although the BCU is mobilised, (After unlocking with the fob) when you crank the engine the engine ecu has to also see a code from the BCU. This somehow does not always happen,so you get the fire and die situation,in exactly the same way you would if you fitted a different engine ecu and didn't do a security learn.

Making sure you have a decent,well charged battery of the correct size helps,plus pausing for a couple of seconds after key position 2 before going to key 3,(Cranking) will help too. 

I have to agree with your take on this Ally............its a little more technical to mine but essentially the same.  And I  have found the few seconds delay as suggested has worked to date.  Hopefully it will continue to do so.

The only other thing I suspect is the actual key it self.  I may have micro cracks in the soldering which may result in the above fault.  The reason for my suspicion is that it happened a few years ago and when i got the key re-soldered it stopped ...........coincidence .............who knows

If i ever discover the definitive cause i will post it

Thanks all 

Hugh