Disco 4 - buying advice please: what to look for?

ThreeSheds

If it was a Disco 1, I know exactly where to poke it... Disco 2 likewise, but Disco 3/4? What are the weaknesses that I should look for?

Tomorrow I will be driving the length of the country and on the way I will be looking at a D4 that is way outside my budget, but I am passing close by so I thought I would have a look - just for laughs and giggles :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-REG-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-4-3-0TDV6-HSE-AUTO-LOW-MILEAGE/183421268124?hash=item2ab4c2709c:g:y8IAAOSwLEVbkpWi

ThreeSheds

Have search on here and see if you can come up with what you need.

If nothing suitable is available here go to "www.disco3.co.uk" and join
Do a search for “What to look for” or similar

I’ve cut and pasted the first one that I came to, there are others.
When I looked for my D3 I found several that I was able to put together to make something with even more detail.
It included exactly how to test the various systems and the parameters that they should conform to.
For example how many time the EAS will raise & lower before it slows up or pauses and how long it should all take if working correctly.
EPB emergency etc

You may find items of equal detail if you can spend time searching. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to go through more than one for you.

Here’s the first one that I looked at

“My Test Drive. Your Help. Please!”

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic152690.html

I started knocking up the following pre-purchase inspection schedule a few months ago but never got round to finishing it. It is by no means complete and need some good proof reading so would appreciate any ideas on things I have missed or got wrong. I will then get it formatted better and made into a downloadable PDF. There are obviously variations on vehicles depending on exact MY and options but it should give you something to work with. suitable 

Equipment required

• Fault Reader
• Plug in Voltmeter
• Music CD
• Notebook and pen

If possible, get all codes read and cleared before test drive.

Carry out complete walk round checking for
damage,
paint flaws,
door/panel gaps,
wheel damage

Check correct operation of smart key buttons (all keys)

Note external optional extras

Tow bar fitted? Presence of red blank 
Towing electrics fitted?
Stand on rear bumper and check roof
note VIN from inspection window nearside lower corner of windscreen
Open bonnet and check
General condition in engine bay
condition of bonnet insulation blanket
oil level and condition coolant level and condition
Check condition of air hoses
check condition of aux drive belt
open batter cover and check visual, condition of battery and date stamp if possible
open 2nd battery cover and check brake fluid level and for contamination.
leave bonnet open 

Check each wheel. Note tyre size, condition remaining tread, even wear.
Check behind wheel for condition of brake pipes, disks etc.

Check presence of spare wheel - Full size or space-saver?

Operate rear offside passenger door and check for smooth opening and closing.
Check condition of seats, internal trim, seat belts etc.
Check folding seat mechanism.
Check 3rd row seat base.
Check courtesy lights
Check rear ventilation louvred for free movement.
Check ashtray area and presence of Aux audio input.
Remove rubber mats if fitted and check carpet for condition and dampness.

Open luggage compartment doors and check for correct operation and closing.
Check security of upper door stay body mounts
Check condition of internal trim, sides, ceiling, carpets 3rd row seat belts
Raise 3rd row seats and check condition and operation.
Open cubby boxes and check contents, - complete tool kit and wheel nut locking key
Check operation of spare wheel hoist. Lower to inspect spare wheel and raise again.
Check operation of courtesy light
Check for corroded upper door handle retaining torx screws
Check for presence of load cover

Operate rear nearside passenger door and check for smooth opening and closing.
Check condition of seats, internal trim, seat belts etc.
Check folding seat mechanism.
Remove rubber mats if fitted and check carpet for condition and dampness. 

Operate front nearside passenger door and check for smooth opening and closing
Check condition of trim, seats etc.
Remove rubber mat if fitted and check carpet for condition and dampness.
Open glove compartments and check contents.
Open main glove compartment and check for presence of Document wallet complete with handbook.
Check interior light.
Lower main glove compartment door to lowered position and check fuse box for non OEM wiring modifications.
Check presence of fuse extractor tool.

Operate driver's door and check for smooth opening and closing
Check condition of trim, seat etc.
Remove rubber mat if fitted and check carpet for condition and dampness.
Check condition of foot pedal runners are commensurate with vehicle mileage.

Switch in ignition and check warning light illuminations.

Tachometer – 6 lights
Centre screen – 4 light along the top
Speedometer – 3 lights

After self test, you should be left with
Centre screen – Amber triangle and red battery symbol
Speedometer – Red Seat belt warning and possibly green “lights on” depending on vehicle configuration.
Check mileage and displayed outside air temperature

Depending on how long car has been unused, voltage should be not less than 11.5volts,
ideally between 12 – 13v

Check all switches for correct function.

1. Horn
2. All external lights including brake lights and puddle light
3. All window operating switches (drivers door and individual doors). Check for auto closing (May just need reset if not operating)
4. Radio controls including steering wheel radio controls. Insert CD and check.
5. Speakers all working
6. Heater controls (not heated windscreens)
7. Winscreen wash / wipers
8. Electric seat – full range of movement in all axis.
9. Electric sunroof
10. Electric mirror adjustment
11. Check for quiet operation of electric parking brake (EPB) with correct indication (Red warning on tachometer. No amber warning)
12. Check other instruments for sensible indications (fuel gauge etc)
13. Check rear view mirror and adjust

Start Engine.

Engine start sequence should start immediately if warm or possible after a couple of seconds if engine cold on cold day.

Battery light should extinguish. After a few seconds, voltage should rise to between 14-15v.

Listen for unexpected noises. Check under bonnet.

Check Suspension reacts correctly to raising and lowering commands|
Check Remote operation of suspension using smart key (all doors closed and hazard warnings on – see handbook for further info)

When ready to go on test drive, with EPB applied, select “D” and check EPB releases automatically when accelerating.

Drive car normally and check for normal response from accelerator, brakes, steering etc.
At slow speed, dab the brakes firmly. Any clunks could be indicative of worn front suspension arms.

Check Command Shift steering wheel controls. Check for correct gear indication on centre screen.

Check full steering lock in both directions

When safe to do so, carry out emergency stop

Perform heavy acceleration and check for smoke from exhaust or sounds indicative of blown turbo hose. Acceleration should be sharp with little lag.

Check reverse gear

Check Low ratio, forward and reverse

If possible find a hill and check Hill Descent mode

Check cruise control

Check engine temperature gauge warming up and warm air from all vents

Check air conditioning

Switch off all heating and ventilation in attempt to induce misting of front and rear windscreen in order to check heated screens. If suspicion of windscreen not heating, placing a bag containing ice on the windscreen. This should induce condensation which should clear when windscreen heating put on. Remember front screen is split heating, LHS & RHS elements

On return to parking, check parking sensors (front and rear and cameras if fitted).

Using an assistant, check luggage compartment door safety interlock. It should not be possible to open the luggage compartment door with the engine running without gearbox selector at “P”.

With engine still running ( select “P”” and EPB applied), open bonnet and check for signs of leaks and unexpected noises.

Switch off engine. Voltage should remain at approx. 12.5-13v

If possible, get codes read again for any faults which were still “live” during test drive.

After approx 10 minutes since engine switch off, select oil level on service menu for correct level.

Check all paperwork.
• Service Record, receipts
• MOT
• V5C Registration document
Do VINs agree? Do mileage records check out. Number of previous owners.
If buying from franchise dealer, check all recalls are up to date.

Ideally, car should now be placed on ramp for full underbody inspection with a good torch.
Check for leaks, corrosion (brake pipes especially) damage, engine/gearbox protection covers in place etc etc.

Using written notes you took during the inspection, negotiate the best price you can !
---

Can I add to the list:

iPod & lead if you have one/ Aux lead (3.5mm jack at each end)
USB stick with a couple of MP3 files
DVD

[Two quick questions:

1. How do I active the 'heated start' feature so I can ensure it works. I'll check the exterior of the car while this runs but how long should I give it before getting in to see if it worked? Obviously outside temp impacts this but should I feel heat from the vents after just a couple of mins?

2. How do I check low range and what do I look for? I've never driven a car with such before]

1. If you mean the Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) without the timed or remote heating, on a cold day it should start up automatically. You probably won't hear it over the sound of the engine but if you lift the bonnet you should feel the FBH exhaust pipe getting warm. It can get very hot after a while so be careful you don't burn yourself. You may hear it going into its cooling down phase if you then switch the engine off and the engine hasn't warmed up. Remember, it doesn't always fire up.

If it has timed heating, you can set it to fire up on the info screen. If it has remote heating, you should be given a separate fob if it's a LR remote heating system but there is at least one non LR system which uses the existing butttons on the LR key.

2. With the gearbox in N, select low ratio and you should see the indicator light change. Drive away as normal and it should change through the gears but your speed will be significantly reduced. My wife's first experience with low ratio was when I left the car parked in low and she took it out to go shopping. I got an angry call very shortly thereafter saying there was something seriously wrong with the car as it was only reaching about 20mph with the engine revving highly  
----

None of this is my work, all credit goest to Martin, the owner of that site

Hope that helps

Edited by Magnet6x6