Dipstick Oil Blowing

Mutley

As title, was under the Defender 90 (300Tdi) yet again!!! And noticed quite a bit of an oil trail on the underside coming from the engine bay. On inspection it appeared the culprit could well be the head gasket!?!

Took it into my regular garage for confirmation, but after looking closely he wasn't convinced it's the head gasket! He thinks looking at how high up the oil start albeit close to the level of the head gasket that it is coming from the DIPSTICK TUBE and the oil is getting past the O ring!

Have took the dipstick out with the engine running, and yep oil does spatter out a bit so i csn see this blowing more under revs. New x5  O rings ordered and hopefully this should resolve the issue!?!

Has anyone else experienced this and does a new O ring on the dipstick resolve the problem or is there another solution?

Cheers Andy 

Ok took breather off, quite oily but blocked off x1 hole with finger and blew into it, then blew into another and got no resistance, so assume it's clear?

No real way of telling is either of the x2 braided rubber pipes have collapsed internally, but both feel ok from the out side?

So do i get new pipes or is somewhere else on that line?

Cheers Andy 

Andy,

I had this excess crankcase problem on my 200 when I tried using a catch can because of the old problem of a little oil getting into the filter box. 

Started after fitting the catch can. 

Seemed odd to me but the engine seems to need the positive ventilation of the breather connection to the intake system to keep crankcase pressure down.

Anyway I eventually put 2 and 2 together and removed the catch can, reconnected  the breather hose to the air box and normal service was resumed and the myriad other little oil weeps stopped too.

May not be relevent to you but my experience FWIW .

MO

Thanks for the info Mo,

I have cleaned cyclone breather and put it back on and also ordered both new pipes as they look like they have been on from day one!?! Has been said that they could be a soft spot and be collapsing, so new ones it is.

While anyone is reading this thread, do you know if you can get the little tiny O ring for the dipstick (300tdi) or what suitable size is needed or do you really have to buy the full dipstick?

Cheers Andy

if you can get the little tiny O ring for the dipstick (300tdi) or what suitable size is needed or do you really have to buy the full dipstick?

Cheers Andy

O ring for dipstick is NOT listed as a seperate part, se item 4 - dipstick on page 217 of http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/3_engine_200TDI_300TDI_V8_p168-299.pdf

I would have a look in a local hardware store or motor factors & see what they have that maybe be suitable. 

Well spent the morning cleaning the engine, 3Lt of paraffin in a hand pump and a rain Forrest worth of paper towels and it's looked pretty good.

Gave the oil filter a quarter of a turn tighter (i only ever do it hand tight but it had a slight drip so gave it a check, and quarter turn was enough). Drove it twice 1st. Short run, 2nd. For 15 mins up to 60mph.....checked engine both times......both times as dry as a bone no oil splashes, no dign of oil anywhere???

So now have NO idea where it was coming from??? But will keep checking tho.

Mine was leaking at the joint between turbo oil return and the block. So that’s the pipe to the right of the dipstick at the bottom. It had blown oil mist all over the side of the engine, so much that I had no idea either.

It’s hard to check that union as access is difficult but I would try to, just in case. Otherwise, now you have it beautified, I’d check after each run to see where it’s showning on the block. 

@ Western there was some oil coming off the filter and blowing back but the most of it did seem to be coming from the top of the dipstick tube? The only other thing which the wife mentioned was maybe the dipstick wasn't pushed in properly? Could happen but there is NO way i am letting her be right!!!

@ Peaklander thanks for that bit of info, i will definitely check/keep an eye on that area. The only thing that bothers me is that over the last 10 days it had got worse, to the point the engine block from top of dipstick height was soaked dripping and yet when oil level checked it doesn't seem to have lost that much???

That said going to do an oil change early next week ready for winter plus if it start spewing oil again at least it will be clean oil lol