Trailer dimensions for a 90

dantastic

I'm toying with the idea ob building a camping trailer and I'm also considering building a chassis from scratch. I know Sankeys are pretty popular but I think a Sankey is far too heavy for what I need it for. However, a Sankey is meant to follow the tracks of a 90 perfectly, is this correct?

The Sankey is crazy short and I can only imagine reversing it would be a pain. What would be a better set of dimensions for a trailer chassis? Whilst still following as closely as possibly the tracks on the 90?

Don't forget that new build trailers have to be IVA'd now, so factor that into your decision. If I've interpreted the rules correctly, putting a different body on an existing chassis falls outside this as long as the construction and use regs are followed. 

A widetrack sankey is designed to follow a defender, yes. They're sturdy construction, but not ridiculous. A lot of weight is in the tub, so if you're just using the chassis to put your own body on its kinda comparable to anything you might build if you set out to make a trailer with landy wheels for similar use. I don't find my narrow track hard to reverse even behind my 109. Much as they look quite dinky, they're bigger than you think and it's nothing like trying to reverse a Halfrauds tin thing designed to be Tower by a civic!

Pop a build thread up whichever way you go :)

But the sankey is what, 5-600kg? That seems very heavy to me, even if a lot of weight may be in the tub.

I was wanting something a bit longer though as the main appeal behind this idea is having something just big eough that you can go inside when the weather is bad. I think the footprint of a sankey is just that bit too small as well.

If I manage to convince SWMBO I'll ut up a build thread! 👍

My narrow track was 6'6" inside length as I planned to fit a bed in one side. Personally I would either us a Sankey chassis or look at old commercial/farm trailers. I'm planning to build an overland caravan at some point and will probably use the 14' box trailer that I have full insulated or with either a refrigerated box body on instead. The commercial route will give you a galv chassis, off the shelf suspension and brake parts, a ball hitch with options for stabilizers and a huge choice of lengths, widths and axle layouts. Oh and most are rated at 2 ton plus so you don't have to build light weight if you don't want to.

Mike

• Like 1