Chassis

Simon_CSK

The Front tow bar on my Disco TD5 was drooping and I assumed the bolts were loose. When I looked more closely the top bolts that pass throught the chasis had torn the chassis. 

I need to fix the chassis anyway but really want the front tow bar fitted as it is very useful and it is the mount point for my winch. So I am thinking that this will need to be strenghtened. The front bumper is a heavy duty steel job that bolts directly to the chassis on the outside of the legs. The tow bar bolts on the inside of the chassis legs. My chassis was repaced 6 years ago and is galvanised so I don't want to weld anymore than is necessary.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it resolved.

The side of the chassis at the front has a large number of mounting holes, originally these have pressings that do a similar job to crush tubes. If these holes are used they shouldn't be able to allow anything to move. The steering box holes are the strongest part of the chassis at the front, the lower ones on the outside are a good mounting point. Some chassis manufacturers neglect to put these in so it's possible the holes in the chassis have elongated when the sides have crushed a bit and the bolts have become loose.. First job is to strip the whole front end off and see what you're dealing with and make repairs easier. A few pictures of what you have may help with better suggestions based on what you have. Welding crush tubes in would be a start and not do too much damage to the chassis.