Broken indicator clamp

Mine did this.... I think I belted one of the switches with my knee.

My answer was to get a suitably-sized exhaust clamp to fit round the column tube. Then drill a couple of holes in the metal plate that holds the indicator/wiper/lights-switch, so the ends of the clamp's U-bolt can pass through.

A couple of shims between the switch's metal plate and the 'saddle' of the exhaust U-clamp let you get the alignment right. The finished result is a lot more robust than the original!

[Hint: after fitting and tightneing-up, Dremel off the protruding excess threads of the U-bolt or you won't be able to refit the plastic shrouds].

• 3 months later...

So I didn’t fix it. I realised the indicator return wasn’t fully working either so got a new one. However am I right in thinking the cancel bars on the wheel should be top and bottom ? Do in need to drill some new ones. (the wheel won’t line up by moving it on boss). That’s the wheel straight but obvisusly other way round.

EDE6E3A1-5018-481B-9476-1491B6C550D3.thumb.jpeg.4c25e0ef2cfc662bfc7b623404232d21.jpeg

Yes they are normally top and bottom though mine only has one at the top. Can you unscrew the boss from the wheel to line it up. Failing that just re drill.

're the stalks I wrapped a thin strip of metal round the clamp fix with some small screws one end and the original screw at the other retaining the broken bit.

Mike