Range Rover Hybrid Cooling Issue

blz6662

Hi All,

Need some advice on my hybrid running too hot. It's a real Bitsa this one, 84' range rover chassis, defender front end and series 2a everything else. Fitted 3.9 V8 fed by Holley Truck Avenger.

My idea was to change out the radiator for a 3.9 range rover rad I have on the shelf but once the tape measure came out it was obvious it was not going in. Too wide (but I could solve that with a bit of fettling), but mainly too deep at 400mm core depth. The one that's fitted is only 300mm deep and much thinner.

So can anyone suggest a suitable rad that would fit in the defender front end and no taller than the 300mm core with top left inlet and bottom left outlet (as you look in the bonnet) to suit the V8.

I don't mind spending to maybe get a bespoke aluminium made up as long as the capacity is right. 

Thanks in advance and apologies if I should have put this in the Special Build section

blz6662

On 9/25/2018 at 2:35 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

My 3.9 cooled OK with a Series rad, is your system up to scratch (stat, fan, etc.?) before you splash out on a rad.

Ditto ^^^ but mine was only a 3.5 ;)

A Defender V8 rad would bolt right in.....

33 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You'd hope it would but on a random hybrid I wouldn't bet money on it... stock Defender V8 rad would definitely be my preference though, over-cooled by design.

Well it has the width between the wings which is a good start. Just needs the Defender style mounting tabs on the chassis added, given that it's  a Rangey chassis.

Last weekend I saw a Disco chassis with shortened 109 body grafted on. The chap had completely removed the inner wings, and used the Disco rad. This was sticking into the area behind the headlights. It wasn't the tidiest job but it seemed to be keeping his V8 cool despite the amount of swamp stuck to it.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:15 PM, blz6662 said:

Yeah, all hoses, stat and fan changed. rad in good condition and not sludged up. Just needs an upgrade as the needle runs 3/4 up the gauge when running around in it. Engine running like a gud'un no issues.

Cheers

How have you established that the rad isn't blocked/partially blocked internally?

Are the temp gauge & the sender unit compatible?

Consider fitting a proper & accurate analogue temp gauge.