Using a Rivnut tool help

Mutley

I aquired this tool a couple of years ago, second hand with no instructions.

20180927_174805.jpg.db13d865b65c7260abe18c2f486d9b74.jpg

Now i managed to figure how to put the correct rivnut setter on, and so opened the arms and screwed on the rivnut as far as it would go, then inserted the rivnut into the reqired hole and proceeded to squeeze the arms together. 

Well they moved in a fraction but then i couldn't move them any further. After jamming one of the arms into my stomach and using both hands, gave it some major pull!?! Load crack and the arms came togerher, great i thought only to find the rivnut had its thread stripped?

So what am i doing wrong and how do you use these thing please???

Cheers Andy 

At work till late but photo is similar model except colour.....

20180927_194953.jpg.67ddb1988f5ebf0afcb17ebf43291e3b.jpg

Trying to put an M6 rivnut insert in the rear cross member of a defender 90 to hold mud flap brackets.

I know photo shows tool with rivet attachment but have managed to put the M6 rivnut mandrel on.....

Do you screw the rivnut insert on all the way as foar as it will go? Then push into the hole and squeeze the arms together?

Or is there a knack to putting the nut insert on the tool to start with???

I've got the same one, there's no real instruction as to how far you screw it onto the rivnut, only how to assemble the tool.  It's a bit of guesswork really, i basically look at the rivnut and estimate how long the section that collapses is (the bit between the thread and the flange), then with the arms of the tool together, screw the rivnut on until it stops, open the arms and then screw the rivnut on the length you estimated, insert the rivnut in the hole and squeeze the arms together with a reasonable force or until they touch without going overboard.  Then unscrew the tool and check it's reasonably tightly set in the hole. As long as it isn't loose enough to rotate as you thread a bolt in it should be fine, it will pinch up when you tighten the bolt.

Thanks dave88sw did it your way and a lot better result, and there does seem to be a bit of guess work for the 1st. Stage of screwing on the rivnut with the arms closed!?!

@Bowie69 tooktook me 2 seconds to twig the David Banner gag lol. Think i was more up set that it took that long to register who he is rather than the fact that i am old enough to remember who he is lol

You may need to practice a bit with material of a similar thickness. Once the rivnut is set, any additional pulling simply damages the rivnut.

The hassle is, if they aren't squeezed enough they will spin, but if you pull too much you mess them up.. Generally, you can feel the rivnut "give" as it deforms to the final dimension before it becomes harder to pull and you enter the damage phase of setting it. 

I've had the same tool for a number of years and have used it a fair bit. Good, quick tool but difficult to use in a confined space. I set mine up in pretty much the same way as dave88sw suggests, if you don't, and are not used to how it feels when the rivnut has set, it's easy to overcook the force and collapse the thing too far.