Bent Roof

paime

Hi Folks,

The roof on my 90 commercial has been dented for a while, looks like the previous owner either stood on it or placed a heavy load on it unfortunately. It's never bothered me much as i can't see it but when i went to change the seals on my alpine windows last night i could get the new seal to fit as the top edge of the window frame/whole is deformed. I pushed the roof up and the window aperture looked right again but when i release the pressure from the roof it warps again. Any tips for fixing this? I think i've read somewhere that applying heat gets it back into shape but i'm a little nervous about that approach!

Cheers

Might need to take it to a body shop to get that fixed properly.

l guess you could brace the roof inside with a steel rod between the alpine windows bent at each end to sit flat on the inside of the roof and locate in the inside of the gutter channel.

Done properly and sprayed  black you’d hardly notice it.

Edited by Lightning

Locate the internal roof brace bar which runs from side to side (should be where the roof lining plastic studs are pressed into)

Put a bottle jack on the floor under it, a suitably sized pole on top of that and a bit of wood spread along the roof brace and jack it up till the roof is straight again - you'll need to go a way past 'straight 'as it will flex back a bit. 

2 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Locate the internal roof brace bar which runs from side to side (should be where the roof lining plastic studs are pressed into)

Put a bottle jack on the floor under it, a suitably sized pole on top of that and a bit of wood spread along the roof brace and jack it up till the roof is straight again - you'll need to go a way past 'straight 'as it will flex back a bit. 

I jammed/braced a bit of wood between the floor and the roof which popped the top panel up. After fitting the new alpine window seal, i released the bit of wood and i think the new seal must be helping to hold the form of the roof. I think i'll use this method of jacking up the middle brace and see if that fixes it permanently. Can't beat a bit of agricultural engineering!

10 hours ago, Lightning said:

Or you could try what l suggested!

This one involves a degree of finesse/fabrication that will take a bit of time. I'm going to give the bending a shot first of all and then i might need to use your approach to keep things in place.

It's a bit difficult to see but this is what i'm dealing with:

20181002_081943.thumb.jpg.d923340af24ee0ec11bc5c9a12b91492.jpg