Converting 2.5na 12J to Power Steering

Cchase

I am going to convert my 'arm-strong' 12J 2.5 NA to power steering, if possible. It is a bit of a bear to maneuver at low speeds in the woods and I am not  getting any younger. I know that some of you purists will scoff, so scoff away!

The truck is a LHD 1995 ex MOD with am MA serial number.

I have tried to source a used PAS system from a Discovery, but there is not much to pick from on this side of the Atlantic and their condition is sketchy at best.

If anyone has photos of a 12J engine with power steering, I would appreciate seeing them.

From the information that I have been able to get on this forum, I will need a NTC9070 pump and the NTC1581NOR   steering box (this is Paddock's number).

I have the bracket to hold the pump to the side of the engine. Also I have found the part number for the pulley for the pump - ETC5783. 

What other bits will I need? Any parts numbers would be appreciated. In particular puctures or part numbers for the three hoses that I will need. 

I can see the parts on this page for the hoses and reservoir, but the page does not give part numbers.

https://allbrit.de/epc.cfm?PAGE=P01010&CAR=L1&SPRACHE=EN#4

Thanks,

Colin

I have an ex MOD 1992 Defender. 

I called Craddock spares and they supplied everything. I got my local garage to fit it (really cheap). As for originality, this was actually an option back in the day so it's still original. FYI it's sooooooo much better with power steering. 

• Like 1

Thanks, folks.

There are two empty pulley 'slots' on the crankshaft so I think that I am safe there. One was probably for the 24V alternator.

Don't usually use Craddocks as their online platform has few/no pictures. Will check prices once I have the part numbers.

Cheers,

Colin

Crank pulleys.jpg

PAS Pump bracket.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, western said:

same as my 200tdi.

Ralph, are those photos above before or after the rebuild? I only ask because of those great photos of a pristine looking 200tdi once you had rebuilt it, unsullied by road grime 🙂

• 1 month later...

Here are some shots of the conversion should anyone else want to convert to PAS.

First shot is the bracket for the pump. The Alternator fits on top. 

Second shot is the comparison between the old 'armstrong' box and the new box.

Third shot is the location on the frame where the new box will go.

C

DSCN5261.JPG

DSCN5263.JPG

DSCN5264.JPG

The PAS pump. NTC9070. with pulley attached. Do this before attaching the pump to the  bracket unless you are a masochist!

I had to drill new holes in the pump mounting plate in order to 'clock' the pump 45 degrees. Otherwise the hoses would be either blocked by the pump mounting bracket or the frame.

C

DSCN5268.JPG

DSCN5269.JPG

DSCN5270.JPG

The flange that attached the steering box to the tie bar is thinner than the one on the manual box and I was too cheap to get shorter bolts, again. The reservoir mounting bracket is home made as I could not justify £58 for the proper bracket. 

DSCN5288.JPG

DSCN5289.JPG

Final installation with alternator in place. PAS Belt ETC5815 (Dayco 13A0725C) was too short so I used NAPA belt 7280 which is a narrower belt and works just fine. The shiny coating is Rust Check undercoating as this all will get muddy soon. I'll take the drop arm from the old steering box to have as a spare.

Cheers,

Colin

DSCN5292.JPG

DSCN5293.JPG

DSCN5294.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Red90 said:

With a LHD, it is easier to put the reservoir on the left side.  The pipe runs then end up being really short.  It helps a lot in keeping it working at arctic temperatures.

Red 90,

The truck enjoys a restful winter as the salt storms on NS highways are pretty intense.

I have a raised air intake on the LHS so space is at a premium there.

In retrospect and given the price and quality of the hoses, I would have custom hoses made next time. The short hose from the box to the pump would not attach to the pump as the threads on the connector would not reach the female threads on the pump. I had to have a new connector put on the hose. I have contacted the supplier and am waiting to see if I get any response.

C

DSCN4839.JPG

• 9 months later...

Looks very, very nice !

Well done Sir.

"... as this all will get muddy soon ..."

Very true.

For this, and more space, we moved the alternator on the 200 Tdi to the Airco pump position on top of the engine to make it less of a target for mud and all the rest..

• 3 years later...
On 10/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, western said:

on your 3 groove crank pulley the front groove is for the PAS pump belt,

same as my 200tdi.

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Hi this is a great thread. Really helpful.  We have just bought a landrover 110 camper, based on 1994 military defender 110 (Tithonus) NA 2.5 ltd diesel.  It a lovely Landy.. What we want to do is put power steering in asap to save the aches and pains of driving as is.  So reading the previous messages would you advise ringing Craddock's and Paddocks for the parts listed in this thread? Could do with a listed breakdown of what exactly needs to be bought and fitted.  Feel like such a newbie. Also how much did it cost for the parts in total?

Thanks for any help...