Where have all the Niva's gone?

Blanco

Prompted by Smego's comment in the Jimney thread I am reminded that I tried a while back to find one of Lada's finest as a temporary runabout, (small engine = cheap road tax over here) and failed miserably, did they really all get shipped back to Poland/Russia/Latvia etc.? I know they rusted badly but even so........ those that are left seem to command RRC money which seems well OTT.

There was a company still importing them a few years ago, they brought one to KORC for a photo shoot. Can't say I've seen one for a while though.

There's a big insurance write off auction near where I work and a big proportion of those go to Eastern Europe so I wouldn't be surprised if they have gone that way, especially if they were a bit rusty as they could still make use of the mechanicals.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, Happyoldgit said:

I can't remember when I last saw one on the road. 

I  can answer that very easily. Yesterday. I am currently in Russia in the moutains aroud Sochi (was at the Grand Prix at the weekend). I even saw a long wheelbased version with 4 doors and thought to myself that looks different.

The Lada brand is still very much alive in Russia it is just that it doesn't meet Western European emmissions. 

I will see if I can get some photos however I am starting my journey home this morning so don;t know what oportunites this will present. Certainly my (Russian) wife will be happier that I stop pointing out every Land Rover or Range Rover that I see.

11 hours ago, Blanco said:

Well jealous of the GP, been a while since we did one,...  shame about the Mercedes 'team' strategy on that one. Took the pleasure out of it for most I think.

Off Topic I know, but I think that was a disgrace. If I were Bottas, I would have resigned.

We have a Niva belonging to a local landowner still about here. VERY tatty now though. I nearly bought a brand new one once, but changed my mind after a good test drive. S0 harsh and vibratory.

The thing is I have always thought them too small for a daily drive, but I always saw potential in that littte divorced transfer box, I imagined that in my dotage (fast approaching) that there would be plenty rusty ones about as donors for projects, sadly it seems not. 

I owned two back in the '80's both bought secondhand and ran them alongside various Land Rovers. The SWB and coils ensured they were both capable enough offroad and always managed to carry a limited amount of gear to where I needed to be, I don't recall getting stuck once.

The first was as rough of old boots on the road and this was mainly due to the shimming under the mounts of the transfer box. I managed to make the on road ride a little better by faffing with the shims, replacing the mounts and adjusting the location of the transfer box and checking everything else but it was never 100% right. A lot of the interior trim resembled vacuum formed yoghurt pots and was about as durable.

The second Niva was a totally different kettle of fish in terms of harshness and vibration and was fairly smooth and quiet. Everything else was the same though, ghastly trim and quirky electrics.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:45 AM, Blanco said:

Well jealous of the GP, been a while since we did one,...  shame about the Mercedes 'team' strategy on that one. Took the pleasure out of it for most I think.

Did the British in 94,95,96. After my first marriage I didn't get the chance however in 2016 with a Russian GF it was convient to meet in Budapest so we got the Hungarian Grand Prix. Last year before I was to fly to Moscow for my wedding (no 2) I was watching the Azerbijan (Dyslexic so no spelling comments please) and looked at the date for the next one. Turned out to be Austria on July 9th and I knew my honeymoon was in Austria until July 11th. Asked my soon to be wife if I/we could go and result as long as we were under a roof and only went on race day she agreed. She then let me take my youngest son to the British GP the following weekend.

This year did the British then the Russian. Sorry about Bottas but team orders are team orders and I fully understand where Toto was coming from. Because Putin turned up (cavalcade passed right in front of us) I got a chance to go on to the track to see the award and champagne fight.

Moving back to the Niva 🤣🤣 on the drive back to Sochi (30 miles) we followed a tricked up Niva but I didn't get the chance to get a photo. Again saw lots of them but couldn't get a photo. I have got a photo from the Sochi car meseum which I have posted along with some cracking cars. If you thought British Leyland made some cracking mistakes then you should certaily see the Russian efforts. BL were design gurus by comparision (That is my chance of any future Russian Visa gone) 

I was hoping to find one at the airport but the only thing I saw was a Freelander 2.

20181003_160656.jpg