D2 Steelies

So now I have a D2 I need to sort her out for some off roading. First up is wheels and tyres.

I am planning on 235 x 85 R16 BFG MT or similar in the same size. Any recommendations for steel rims that offer a sensible off set so steering lock is not crippled? Happy to cut body work / fit flares if necessary but also equally happy not to if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Bish.

There's a tyre size guide on here , must be pinned at the top of a category somewhere, I think the title was 'Will it fit'. If I remember your tyre choice (excellent start btw) doesn't quite fit without either a small lift or  wheel arch alterations. I think the 235 width will be fine with the regular offset, its the OD of the tyre that is going to catch the bodywork.

My D2 had that size cooper stt on standard alloys with a britpart 2inch lift and was impressed how well it rode and drove. It had a steel bumper so no rubbing issues. Think they tend to rub the plastic front bumpers or need a slight trim4F0B13EB-F2F4-4E61-9C93-27FB5A9E5A0F.thumb.jpeg.c23572e9eafe44c7a4e7030ca81d36d1.jpegC59F720E-6639-474A-958F-4E7C7DA72331.thumb.jpeg.f393b8d3bab8c6b00c90c92e4685c63d.jpeg

Thanks Jon. Just havering a bit on tyres - torn between expensive but known to me BFG's and less expensive Maxxis 764 or Cooper STT. How were the Coopers?

I have 18" alloys so want to change to 16" and may as well go steel for durability off road.

I have to admit I haven't seen a cracked or broken alloy for years I guess they got better at making them. Personally you can't beat big however the set on the ibex are at least 10 years old so they'll perish long before they wear of not sure if this is good or bad.

Mike

Coopers were ok. Mine were a little worn so a bit hard to compare with BFG. But I don't think they are as good as BFG, mine may have been a bit old but they just seemed rather hard and didn't seem to grip into things more just polish the surface. Don't think that have as much sidewall grip for getting out of ruts. But I was seriously impressed with the discoverys traction control with the centre diff locked. It would just climb where a 90 would get cross axled.

I was more just showing the alloys to give an idea of offset and tyre clearance. The above wheel were chosen by the previous owner over the alloys it had initially as those wheel cover and protect the wheel nuts well. Modulars may look a bit more off roady if that is the look you are going for with the offset. But you may have to sort wheel arches then.

Maxxis could be worth a shot 

I run 235/85 x 16 Insa Turbo Special Tracks (Extreme Muds) on my D2 for RTV trials competitions.

With a 1.5 to 2 inch suspension lift, they fit OK, but need either a modified (cut down) standard front bumper or steel front bumper to prevent heavy fouling at full lock. The small plastic inner wheel arch liner section at the front of the front wheels needed pulling & fastening forward to also prevent rubbing.

With the modulars or standard rims + 30mm spacers, you can get a bit more steering lock by reducing the length of the steering stop bolts (they're not adjustable on a D2). You can let the tyres rub on the radius arms a little at full lock - even if in theory, it could fail an MOT (I've never had any problem).

At full suspension travel while cross axled, the tyre will rub the top of the wheel arch liner, but not cause problems.

I've run standard D2 alloys (16x8", 57mm offset & 16x7", 57mm offset), standard D2 Commercial steel wheels (16x7", 57mm offset) & Paddocks modular steels (16x8", 27mm offset (+30mm)).. They all can be used, but the 57mm offset wheels massively reduce steering lock at the front with the 235/85s unless 30mm spacers are used too.

At the rear, the 57mm offset wheels have the advantage of creating no rubbing in the wheel arch without any mods - even at full articulation. They also have a very small positive impact on turning circle due to the narrower track than the modulars. The modulars cause some rubbing & tyre damage in the rear arch at full bump & articulation - although it might be possible to reduce this by rolling the wheel arch lips.

The 235/85s are narrower between the sealing beads than an 8 inch wide wheel, so the tyre fitter has to know what he's doing to get both beads onto the rim !

After lots of experimenting, I run modular steels on the front & D2 Commercial steels on the rear.

Thanks all - wheels (paddocks) and tyres, Maxxis 764's ordered. :)

2" lift waiting in the garage. ;) 

Whilst alloys may be stronger, you can't fix them with a lump hammer and a cold chisel! :D

Now just got to fit it all and get out playing!