Jamie_grieve

Thoughts and musings on the new defender

:hysterical:

"Everyone, please feast your eyes on my new £2500 steering wheel that replaces the 3 month old £1500 earlier version. Shall we discuss my Patek Phillipe watch in the picture too?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now, now.

We depend on them to buy this stuff, so, when they move on to the next shiny thing, we can afford them.

Growing up on the farm, we were always amazed that the 4x4s in London didn't have hitches, simply couldn't understand why you'd buy a truck without a hitch.

Last few Defenders I bought were all new and they all had hitches that were used regularly. No Gucci loafers or pristine desert boots to be seen around mine though.

They only wear those when on an expedition MOG, like to Billing.

Mo

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

They only wear those when on an expedition MOG, like to Billing.

Mo

There be lions and tigers in Northamptonshire...

15 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Do I hear axes being ground ?

Nooo, that would be either voices or bells you can hear!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Nooo, that would be either voices or bells you can hear!

Santa has been - so it must be the voices.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Do I hear axes being ground ?

I have a pitchfork, would that do ? 😊 

Mo

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

I have a pitchfork, would that do ? 😊 

Mo

Left or right handed?

• Haha 1

It's a Startech MOG, finest Italian leather covered handle with quick release prongs.

Does it matter though if I'm just grinding it ?

Mo 😊 

• Haha 2

This makes interesting reading: China seems to be where it's all going wrong for JLR.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/why-jaguar-land-rover-losing-money-and-how-it-plans-return-profit

Selling it to a country full of pirates that copy anything that isn't nailed down was only going to end in tears.

10 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

It's a Startech MOG, finest Italian leather covered handle with quick release prongs.

Does it matter though if I'm just grinding it ?

Mo 😊 

Ah, the stuff of dreams - on both counts.

Just to add to Scotts90's comments I know several farmers that run older D3s and a couple with Freelander 2s. None of them seem to have any issues despite the hard life they give them. I have a D3 with 168,000 on the clock and whilst it isn't perfect it does the one thing my 90 couldn't, long journeys without feeling knackered at the end. I'm sure they are questionable for the sort of use the military need but for most people the vehicles being made recently (relatively) are far ahead of any older models. There are D3s that have undertaken serious overland expeditions such as Kiwis in Africa so they obviously can do it. 

As an aside I've read that the reliability stats are derived from warranty companies and the cost of individual claims for a model so the higher upnthearket the higher the costs and thus the further down the league a car goes. 

7 hours ago, Ratty43 said:

As an aside I've read that the reliability stats are derived from warranty companies and the cost of individual claims for a model so the higher upnthearket the higher the costs and thus the further down the league a car goes.  

Some maybe, but the most authoritative ones are done by survey, including what car and the ones linked to above earlier in the thread.

12 hours ago, Ratty43 said:

Just to add to Scotts90's comments I know several farmers that run older D3s and a couple with Freelander 2s. None of them seem to have any issues despite the hard life they give them.

Same here, a local agricultural contractor has an 05 Disco he has owned from new and now has 150k miles on it. It looks worse than a builders van inside and out and has not generally been treated that well but he has had no major issues with it.

Yes it has had bushes and ball joints etc changed but it probably does 1/3 of its miles on fields

He has been ready to change it for a couple of years but does not know what to get - not keen on the look of the new Disco, no idea what the new Defender looks like and if it meets his needs (Changed from a Defender last time as wanted more comfort), does not want a pickup, currently considering a Porsche 4x4 but put off by the wheel/tyre options

This is exactly the sort of client base the new Defender should be aiming for  - they just need to hurry up and release it so more people don't leave the brand

• Like 1

Land cruiser are doing the commercial again in the uk. I think you can get a commercial Shogun too. Both might be worth looking at.