Thoughts and musings on the new defender

That model is interesting.  Looking at the bit in front of the doors, and taking on board that it has independent suspension, this could be a genuine facsimile.

Great if they keep the round headlights, boo hiss if they can't get rid of the ugly bonnet bulge they stuck on Puma real Defenders.

Doing the rounds on various other places, this purports to be a sneaky pic of the dash image on a broken down example of the new vehicle. Doesn't look a lot like Lego but could conceivably fit into the padded cells that have been out driving around.

64993511_10156489746365662_4032814805923397632_o.jpg

59 minutes ago, BogMonster said:

Doing the rounds on various other places, this purports to be a sneaky pic of the dash image on a broken down example of the new vehicle. Doesn't look a lot like Lego but could conceivably fit into the padded cells that have been out driving around.

So they crossed the DC100 with the Discovery 3 by the look of it?

Yup, the alleged real graphic representation looks pretty OK to me.

Snub nose, vertical back, roof line all really help, plus does it look to anyone else that the humped waistline is there?

Masai -style windows too?

Bonnet bulge?

Can't be long until the great reveal.

TBH I can't really worry about what-it-looks-like. When you're driving it you're not looking at it. [this is my excuse for only washing my Defender once a year - the day before it goes in for its MOT].

Though I'd rather like "Defender 3.0" to have decent aerodynamics if only to reduce the noise, strange spray-flooding patterns when passing HGVs, and door-tops-pulling-away-from-the-body when cruising at 90MPH.

[OK, so I have sympathy for the late Colin Chapman's mindset that "aerodynamics are only of interest to those whose engines are underpowered" - but a decently-aerodynamic vehicle can make towing a trailer at 75MPH while passing a convoy of 56MPH-limited trucks across the Thelwall Viaduct in a gale a lot less of a buttock~clenching event]

10 hours ago, BogMonster said:

That actually looks more or less like a modern version of a proper Land Rover.  Shock, horror, gasp etc.!

7 minutes ago, deep said:

That actually looks more or less like a modern version of a proper Land Rover.  Shock, horror, gasp etc.!

It is certainly the best of the collection of "maybes" so far. Still a Shogun replacement rather than a Defender replacement though... and why would you randomly have a picture of the car you are sitting in on the middle of the dash?

Given that there are now also a bunch of other 'interior photos' on the Landroverphotoalbum group on Faecesbook, I wonder if it's all still part of the misinformation exercise. The dash shown in the other images has a similar looking speedo, but definitely doesn't have the vehicle image. What appears to be supposed to look like the same set of photos also has an air spring in one photo and a coil in another.

• Like 1