Thoughts and musings on the new defender

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:32 PM, deep said:

Are you implying the car uses wheel rotation PLUS a second system like GPS to determine speed?  This sounds more appalling every day!

It wouldn't surprise me if the road speed is double checked by gps too, but I do know that if you fit larger diameter than standard tyres to a Jeep built in the last 13 years it will impact on the ESP and ETC due to the incorrect speedo reading. Before too long various dash warning lights also start flashing. Google "AEV Procal" for an example of how it can be solved.

I think the new Defender will be similar in this respect due to its use of even more complicated interdependent electronic systems. It would be interesting to know how "hackable" JLR have allowed their systems to be.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, elbekko said:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/31/ford-bronco-off-road-video-front-dig/

Doesn't look quite as impressive as the new Defender to me. The skid steering is cool though, not sure if LR employs that.

Had skid steer / fiddle brakes on my lightweight years ago when I did modified trials I'm quite sure Ford will have come up with something nattier than what I had below regards Stephen 

20200601_184414.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost

New Land Rover Defender: six-pot diesel spotted testing: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-land-rover-defender-six-pot-diesel-spotted-testing

Land Rover continues to expand the Defender range with a new mild-hybrid 3.0-litre unit

Just weeks after a petrol V8 Defender was caught testing near Land Rover’s base at Gaydon, our spy photographer has caught the first six-cylinder diesel test mule.

Although the new shots only show a rear-side angle of the 4x4, the prototype’s number plate reveals the 4x4 uses a mild-hybrid 3.0-litre diesel engine.

The first sighting follows a document leaked last year that revealed Land Rover’s intent to offer a six-pot engine as the sole diesel option for the Defender in the US market. ...

99-land-rover-defender-six-pot-diesel-sp

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

What's a mild hybrid? Calm, even tempered, slow to anger?

It’s a scam for manufacturers to get around emissions related taxes and for those who have some environmental concerns but don’t understand how machines work to be ripped off by having a vehicle that is a poor compromise, incorporating the negatives of both ICE and EV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, a six cylinder diesel would be the ideal engine.  Especially if you could throw away all the complex additions modern trends pile on a poor motor.  And if you could have it on the base model with steel wheels and .....  oh well, nice to dream!

Still, nice to see the options expanding.  That has the potential to be a decently economical motor with pots of torque in reserve, ideal for the long range traveller who is brave enough to chance taking all those computers miles from a service centre.

Finally, some proper off-roading with a direct comparison between old & new Defender, although the driver does not seem to know what he's doing...

Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS.

Edited by Naks

Just now, elbekko said:

That old Defender was also very much not stock.

Indeed, but on a dry track like this, a D4/D5/RR/RRS would eat the old Defender, even on road tyres.

The driver is trying to going too fast; then he's flooring it & backing off, so the TC is not working effectively, etc. 

I think it's all a moot point until the same person drives both vehicles back to back. As someone who has had experience blowing up tyres off road on a modern Land Rover I nominate myself for test driver :D.

I can also offer a valid comparison between leaf sprung, coiled and new Defenders. Got a perfectly stock leaf sprung Landy (oh except the extra axle but that's irrelevant) and a stock Defender (oh except the twin lockers, also irrelevant).:ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I think it's all a moot point until the same person drives both vehicles back to back. As someone who has had experience blowing up tyres off road on a modern Land Rover I nominate myself for test driver :D.

I can also offer a valid comparison between leaf sprung, coiled and new Defenders. Got a perfectly stock leaf sprung Landy (oh except the extra axle but that's irrelevant) and a stock Defender (oh except the twin lockers, also irrelevant).:ph34r:

Your series didn't leave the factory with rust welded leaf springs, I suspect.

• Haha 2

https://youtu.be/Q8sQZuAczrg

he's added auto-translation to the clip, so now there is more context.

the first Defender went up without any issues, it's just the white 110 that struggled.

Gosh that was painful to watch! I had to skip through the last 8 mins and just watch parts as it was so painful. How much will that damage cost to repair? £2k?! I clipped and bent the front bumper on my 110 the other day. Ratchet strap, gate post and hammer and its largely not noticeable now....!

On 6/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, Naks said:
Finally, some proper off-roading with a direct comparison between old & new Defender, although the driver does not seem to know what he's doing...

Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS.

lol, clearly you are a driving God then..... 😂

On 6/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, Naks said:

It's easy to blame the driver, but they had the TCS working on it. You could clearly see it was more a down to the suspension, it wanted to lift wheels more easily or have less weight on them than the live axle vehicles. You see this very clearly at the beginning of the vid with the old proper 110. Combined with the fact the TCS requires some wheel slip to engage means you had to spin the wheels and loose traction before you make all the wheels turn.

I don't think the Pretender did any worse than a D3/4/5, L405, etc. It uses essentially the same setup and tech!!! but it clearly demonstrates that the Pretender is built and designed primarily as an "on" road vehicle. Massively enhanced with electronics to give it some off road worthiness. A proper Defender has a native design that is highly capable without any electronic aids.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

What vid did they ground out at speed?

Rewatching it it was a bit slower than I thought, they actually stopped for a moment before hitting it. I was talking about the moment at 13:40 in Naks' latest video.