Thoughts and musings on the new defender

8 hours ago, landroversforever said:

It's certainly got more in common with the D4 pictured above! 

If you lined up a D4 with a new Defender on one side and an old Defender on the other, the D4 would look like a hybrid child of the two but would look closer to the old Defender.  That's how far off the mark the pretend-it's-an-old-Land Rover "styling cues" are!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deep said:

If you lined up a D4 with a new Defender on one side and an old Defender on the other, the D4 would look like a hybrid child of the two but would look closer to the old Defender.  That's how far off the mark the pretend-it's-an-old-Land Rover "styling cues" are!

7 minutes ago, elbekko said:

2012-land-rover-defender-590x400x.jpg.c0081b65b5b163c09c2f2367048da13f.jpg

So it's pretty clear. Land Rover have designed a produced a Range Rover 1a.

No - the front grill is vertical in one and horizontal in the other. Completely different.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

These are useful reviews, better than those featuring trendy journo's hacking it round a bit of dirt.

All of the youtube videos that chap/company posts are useful. I had to take the dash apart on the D3 to remove the steering column and fix the stupid steering angle sensor where the non replaceable, plastic guide that turns the sensor had come loose from the column (it looks like land rover never really fixed it to the column properly in the first place and just relied on luck) and his youtube vids gave me confidence on what/where I could pull to remove things without snapping everything!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

2012-land-rover-defender-590x400x.jpg.c0081b65b5b163c09c2f2367048da13f.jpg

So it's pretty clear. Land Rover have designed a produced a Range Rover 1a.

I know your post is a bit tongue in cheek but those two vehicles have FAR more in common with each other than the two generations of Defender do!  Even more so if you'd posted a pic of an early 90/110/127.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, deep said:

I know your post is a bit tongue in cheek but those two vehicles have FAR more in common with each other than the two generations of Defender do!  Even more so if you'd posted a pic of an early 90/110/127.

My post was to point out the ridiculousness of someone pointing out that the new Defender is just a Disco 4. Just like the old Defender is just a Range Rover. And that, obviously, doesn't have to be a bad thing.

9 minutes ago, elbekko said:

My post was to point out the ridiculousness of someone pointing out that the new Defender is just a Disco 4. Just like the old Defender is just a Range Rover. And that, obviously, doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Hardy ridiculous.... The original Defender clearly took major design cues from the Series vehicles too (much more in body than the RRC you posted the picture of) and was sold as a new model. This new defender, in my eyes, takes most of its design cues from the D3/4 but is billed as an evolution of the original Defender with which it shares nothing but the name as far as I can make out (alpine windows and a swing out rear door perhaps, but then the D2 had those too really....).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

The old Defender isn’t a Range Rover though. Wtf are you on?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, elbekko said:

Where did the chassis and suspension come from then?

The chassis is clearly Series in origin. Which really then hails from the Willis GP1 if you want to be really picky. The RR was an evolution of this chassis. Not the other way round.  

You also seem to be totally ignoring the Stage 1. Which as its name suggest was the first stage to the 90/110 models. And certainly set the theme for the styling. 

The coil suspension may have been introduced on the RR. But a 90 was never just a chopped down Range Rover with a different body. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Naks said:

Review with plenty of off-roading, although I do not know what language that is

Slovakian if the numberplate is anything to go by. 

Nice to see someone trying to get it stuck in the wet. 

Edited by reb78

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

The chassis is clearly Series in origin. Which really then hails from the Willis GP1 if you want to be really picky. The RR was an evolution of this chassis. Not the other way round.  

You also seem to be totally ignoring the Stage 1. Which as its name suggest was the first stage to the 90/110 models. And certainly set the theme for the styling. 

The coil suspension may have been introduced on the RR. But a 90 was never just a chopped down Range Rover with a different body. 

And you're completely and intentionally missing the point.

• Haha 1