Thoughts and musings on the new defender

2 hours ago, reb78 said:

Slovakian if the numberplate is anything to go by. 

Nice to see someone trying to get it stuck in the wet. 

I like the trailer light check function. Offroad, with those tyres you cannot expect much more than he did there. Ground clearance is the main enemy though.

12 hours ago, Daan said:

I like the trailer light check function.

I did like that too.

Makes me think about building a little device that plugs in behind the lights on a normal Defender for the same purpose.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:48 AM, reb78 said:

Slovakian if the numberplate is anything to go by. 

Nice to see someone trying to get it stuck in the wet. 

Because I speak English and understand a little Polish, I could actually follow quite a lot of this.  Really decent review. I wish we could get an English version.

Every time I see a modern LR off road test, I’m impressed by what they can do with completely inappropriate road tyres - then I want to scream at them for not fitting a Land Rover with proper rubber.  Sigh. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

For all the fanboy comments of those who like it and say what a great success it’ll be and how it’ll do wonders for Land Rover, here’s the reality.

Yep, you only have to look back to see how many folks on this forum actually went out and bought new LR's in the past.

• Haha 1

🤣🤣

Land Rover Defender + Honda Element Mashup Is So Wrong, It’s Right: https://sports.yahoo.com/land-rover-defender-honda-element-133354216.html

"A perfect front end swap.
The new Land Rover Defender is finally here and after decades of selling the same design, the Defender finally had to contend with modern design influences. The new defender promises to bring the classic rugged Defender into the modern age blending cutting-edge tech with timeless durability. The exterior design of the new Defender has caused the greatest stir and today’s rendering will certainly keep this conversation going.

The team over at car front swaps has made their mark on the new Land Rover Defender grafting the front end of the Honda Element on to the front of the Defender. The results are surprisingly cohesive which is probably not something Defender fans want to hear right now. But there’s no denying that the front end of the Honda Element looks right at home on the Land Rover Defender matching the rest of the design seamlessly."

normal_c8e8378f247dba76e383e1787bbef733.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

For all the fanboy comments of those who like it and say what a great success it’ll be and how it’ll do wonders for Land Rover, here’s the reality.

a few people on the Defender2 forum have got theirs already, IIRC one guy in Scotland and one guy in the US already took delivery.

• Like 1

The vehicle is still not floating my boat, aesthetics and engineering aside I'm not sure I have patience to learn how to operate all the dashboard "stuff". I just want to get in a vehicle and be able to operate the "stuff" almost by intuition, all these videos showing people sitting there trying to fathom out bits and bobs on the touchscreen etc is off putting. BTW that's from someone who currently has two late model vehicles both with touchscreens and others in recent years too.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't complain if touchscreens got banned from all new cars, I mean, if you can't operate a mobile phone while driving, how are you supposed to use the incomprehensible touchscreens most of them seem to have nowadays?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Personally, I wouldn't complain if touchscreens got banned from all new cars, I mean, if you can't operate a mobile phone while driving, how are you supposed to use the incomprehensible touchscreens most of them seem to have nowadays?

I'm with you on that - no problem with them for functions you can't/shouldn't be messing with while driving. Vehicle settings, setting up phone syncing, anything like that. But if you can reasonably use it while driving tactile controls you can use without looking at them are much safer.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

I'm with you on that - no problem with them for functions you can't/shouldn't be messing with while driving. Vehicle settings, setting up phone syncing, anything like that. But if you can reasonably use it while driving tactile controls you can use without looking at them are much safer.

My truck has audio, heat, aircon and a plethora of other controls available via the touchscreen. Below that heating, aircon and audio controls are also available via conventional pushbuttons, knobs and switches - madness.

The real problem is 15 years down the road.  The screens will start to fail as do they all and there will not be replacements available as the tech will be too old.  With important functions only capable through the screens, the vehicles will be scrap.

Edited by Red90

3 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The real problem is 15 years down the road.  The screens will start to fail as do they all and there will not be replacements available as the tech will be to old.  With important functions only capable through the screens, the vehicles will be scrap.

Thats kind of why I got a poverty spec D3 without a screen. It doesnt rely on it but its so outdated its virtually useless and would anonoy me if it did fail. 

5 hours ago, Naks said:

🤣🤣

Land Rover Defender + Honda Element Mashup Is So Wrong, It’s Right: https://sports.yahoo.com/land-rover-defender-honda-element-133354216.html

"A perfect front end swap.
The new Land Rover Defender is finally here and after decades of selling the same design, the Defender finally had to contend with modern design influences. The new defender promises to bring the classic rugged Defender into the modern age blending cutting-edge tech with timeless durability. The exterior design of the new Defender has caused the greatest stir and today’s rendering will certainly keep this conversation going.

The team over at car front swaps has made their mark on the new Land Rover Defender grafting the front end of the Honda Element on to the front of the Defender. The results are surprisingly cohesive which is probably not something Defender fans want to hear right now. But there’s no denying that the front end of the Honda Element looks right at home on the Land Rover Defender matching the rest of the design seamlessly."

normal_c8e8378f247dba76e383e1787bbef733.

Wouldn't be the first time Honda stuck their badge on a new Landrover product. There were Honda badged Discoveryies sold in Japan for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoffbeaumont said:

It's not just the safety aspect (which doesn't bother me too much), it's the sheer annoyance of having to look and fumble while the vehicle is moving.  It exasperates me on modern rental cars I use.  Designers are trying to show off by producing "clean" designs with lots of functions but that's not driven by the need to produce functional items, it's driven by a bored press demanding new things to play with all the time and the desire to have more toys then their competitors.  

Honestly, those of us drawn to the the very straightforward design and function of traditional Land Rovers are getting left waaaaaaay behind, simply because we want tools to perform a job, not toys which make us perform in front of our peers.  The touchscreen is right at the heart of where we are going wrong.  As they provide more and more and more functions, many of us are getting less and less and less convinced the cars they're fitted to are what we want to own...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Wouldn't be the first time Honda stuck their badge on a new Landrover product. There were Honda badged Discoveryies sold in Japan for a while.

The Crossroad, I believe.  We see the odd one here, imported second-hand from Japan.

27 minutes ago, Red90 said:

If they wanted to do something useful, the screen would include complete diagnostic access with troubleshooting guides and full workshop manual.  That is what should be expected for a true vehicle designed for remote travel.

Ah, while the marketing may suggest otherwise their target consumer base is going to be far less demanding than those who wish to travel to remote places.