Thoughts and musings on the new defender

23 hours ago, western said:

the side box & side mounted ladder are options, so they will only be on the vehicle if the new owner has specced them. both IMHO look awlful.

I was looking at an ex Army Stage One (that sold at auction for eye-watering money) last night.  It also has a "side pod" but it's below the mirror line so not quite as daft as the parachutes on the new one.

3 minutes ago, elbekko said:

This post shows pretty well what the difference is between all the SUVs and the newer Land Rovers:

Toyota Highlander after being taken off road

The new Defender doesn't need a new oil pan, subframe and who knows what else after a little bit of rock crawling. Because it's still designed with off-road in mind.

I backed over a rock in my boss's Pajero i.o. (less "SUV" than most, with proper four wheel drive and a steel sump protector).  It put a small dent in what looks like a protective beam under the transmission.  The beam was fine but it cost $1,000 to fix the engine mounts, both the ones attached to the beam (which is actually part of the mounting system) and the ones further forward.  My 110 must be nearly a foot higher at that point but it wouldn't matter anyway.  I'd say the new Defender would hit middle ground in that respect?

1 hour ago, deep said:

I was looking at an ex Army Stage One (that sold at auction for eye-watering money) last night.  It also has a "side pod" but it's below the mirror line so not quite as daft as the parachutes on the new one.

Those are for fuel cans to be carried, most of the military 110s had them as well not as noticeable as the silly pod on the new vehicle, 

23 hours ago, western said:

Those are for fuel cans to be carried, most of the military 110s had them as well not as noticeable as the silly pod on the new vehicle, 

My military 110 has a spot in there for jerry cans to be carried but it just has a flat door.  I do wonder if those protruding types were the inspiration for that poor bit of new design though?

Described as ‘Land Rover’s most capable and durable commercial vehicle ever,’

wonder what they mean by durable?  Like tougher than a series?  I bet that one in the photo doesn't live as long as my 2a even with the 50 year headstart 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Described as ‘Land Rover’s most capable and durable commercial vehicle ever,’

wonder what they mean by durable?  Like tougher than a series?  I bet that one in the photo doesn't live as long as my 2a even with the 50 year headstart 😃

I think it means their marketing department is probably their most prised possession ;)

8 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Looks better than the station wagon ones because it's got rid of that c.d pillar.

No it hasn't, the pillar is still there but disguised better, a 3 door long wheel base would be good to. 

• Thanks 1

Having the white sides at the back (and the white wheels) makes it look so much better than the station wagons.  

As someone mentioned above, a three door would be really good.  Then we have to get past the various international oddities so we could have that commercial version with windows in the back, so you can actually see when pulling out of an angle park (or have light if you're using it as a camper).  But then you'd end up getting the hideous floaty square panel back in view, which ruins everything again.... aaaarghh!

"Now available at www.atraxion.com. Two new wheels for 2020 Defender, mounted on Goodyear Wrangler 255/60R20 . We thank Land Rover Hasselt for making this video possible."