Jump to content
Jamie_grieve

Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Recommended Posts

PowerfulUK's video on why they took down the video about the GPF sensor issue:

 

And a new video of them green-laning:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice video of the underside:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, western said:

the side box & side mounted ladder are options, so they will only be on the vehicle if the new owner has specced them. both IMHO look awlful.

I was looking at an ex Army Stage One (that sold at auction for eye-watering money) last night.  It also has a "side pod" but it's below the mirror line so not quite as daft as the parachutes on the new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post shows pretty well what the difference is between all the SUVs and the newer Land Rovers:

Toyota Highlander after being taken off road

The new Defender doesn't need a new oil pan, subframe and who knows what else after a little bit of rock crawling. Because it's still designed with off-road in mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elbekko said:

This post shows pretty well what the difference is between all the SUVs and the newer Land Rovers:

Toyota Highlander after being taken off road

The new Defender doesn't need a new oil pan, subframe and who knows what else after a little bit of rock crawling. Because it's still designed with off-road in mind.

I backed over a rock in my boss's Pajero i.o. (less "SUV" than most, with proper four wheel drive and a steel sump protector).  It put a small dent in what looks like a protective beam under the transmission.  The beam was fine but it cost $1,000 to fix the engine mounts, both the ones attached to the beam (which is actually part of the mounting system) and the ones further forward.  My 110 must be nearly a foot higher at that point but it wouldn't matter anyway.  I'd say the new Defender would hit middle ground in that respect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deep said:

I was looking at an ex Army Stage One (that sold at auction for eye-watering money) last night.  It also has a "side pod" but it's below the mirror line so not quite as daft as the parachutes on the new one.

Those are for fuel cans to be carried, most of the military 110s had them as well not as noticeable as the silly pod on the new vehicle, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It definitely has a weird bounce, even when going along on the relative level and smooth. Wonder if you can feel it inside? One would presume yes.

 

If you watch the Jeeps, the body tends to stays fairly level and wheels go up and down. Watch the Land Rover and the body bobs up and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, western said:

Those are for fuel cans to be carried, most of the military 110s had them as well not as noticeable as the silly pod on the new vehicle, 

My military 110 has a spot in there for jerry cans to be carried but it just has a flat door.  I do wonder if those protruding types were the inspiration for that poor bit of new design though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bigger doors were on 110 & XD models 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Described as ‘Land Rover’s most capable and durable commercial vehicle ever,’

wonder what they mean by durable?  Like tougher than a series?  I bet that one in the photo doesn't live as long as my 2a even with the 50 year headstart 😃

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks better than the station wagon ones because it's got rid of that c.d pillar.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Described as ‘Land Rover’s most capable and durable commercial vehicle ever,’

wonder what they mean by durable?  Like tougher than a series?  I bet that one in the photo doesn't live as long as my 2a even with the 50 year headstart 😃

I think it means their marketing department is probably their most prised possession ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Looks better than the station wagon ones because it's got rid of that c.d pillar.

No it hasn't, the pillar is still there but disguised better, a 3 door long wheel base would be good to. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a nice cheap simple vehicle for the commercial user , no doubt BT and the like are knocking down Land Rover’s  doors to get their orders in 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, pop a cherry picker on the back and I'm sure the utility companies would love it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleet users thats the words I was thinking of !🤦🏼‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, western said:

No it hasn't, the pillar is still there but disguised better, a 3 door long wheel base would be good to. 

Appreciate that by got rid of I mean not visible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the white sides at the back (and the white wheels) makes it look so much better than the station wagons.  

As someone mentioned above, a three door would be really good.  Then we have to get past the various international oddities so we could have that commercial version with windows in the back, so you can actually see when pulling out of an angle park (or have light if you're using it as a camper).  But then you'd end up getting the hideous floaty square panel back in view, which ruins everything again.... aaaarghh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

"Now available at www.atraxion.com. Two new wheels for 2020 Defender, mounted on Goodyear Wrangler 255/60R20 . We thank Land Rover Hasselt for making this video possible."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy