Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Ironically this is page 110 !.  saw one in the flesh, parked up at Wimbledon Common, on Sunday.   I must say, I was not impressed, ugly, is how I would describe it, like a blown up FX4 taxi.  But to be fair, it WAS parked up in its natural habitat.

Edited by Yostumpy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Have we had this one ?

I'm not sure if the link was posted but this is the one I referred to with the two inch lift and 33" tyres.  Bobs around a little but gets the job done.

19 hours ago, Yostumpy said:

Ironically this is page 110 !.  saw one in the flesh, parked up at Wimbledon Common, on Sunday.   I must say, I was not impressed, ugly, is how I would describe it, like a blown up FX4 taxi.  But to be fair, it WAS parked up in its natural habitat.

My favourite overheard description was a "Yeti blown up by a photocopier"

Scarily, that was a Sturgess Leicester, the JLR dealer, who seemed to have a stream of new Defender owner collections going on. (I was quite taken by the I-Pace also being handed over to the new owner.)

• Like 1

I followed one on the road today , the back end is truly ugly . The thing that possibly looked worst was the outer brake marker lights - 4 tiny LED's in a square pattern that make them look like failed LED packs.

The body itself looked narrower than it's parental D4 , that might be an illusion due to the wheelarch flares though.

It would have made an excellent D5 ......

Steve 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

I was quite taken by the I-Pace also being handed over to the new owner.)

Work colleague bought an F pace needed new discs and pads at 11000 miles at a cost of £1500 he's still arguing with them didn't help when I told him a Passat I had got its first pad and disc change at 70000 miles regards Stephen

19 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Work colleague bought an F pace needed new discs and pads at 11000 miles at a cost of £1500 he's still arguing with them didn't help when I told him a Passat I had got its first pad and disc change at 70000 miles regards Stephen

That depends so much on the use though? My JCW MINI needed new fronts after about 10-12K miles.... first set of tyres were also bald by 10K.

4 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That depends so much on the use though? My JCW MINI needed new fronts after about 10-12K miles.... first set of tyres were also bald by 10K.

Well this is just a go to work car for his wife and the pair of them are too safety conscious for any degree of spiritedness regards Stephen

Took the Rangie for its annual service yesterday, and had a look at the demo they had on the floor.

It looks smaller IRL than in photos, IMHO.

Sitting position and driver's view is pretty good.

Pedals are still way close together for comfortable left-foot braking.

The boot is not as big as I expected, but the side curvatures of the opening means that you lose a lot of space if you were to fit a drawer system.

New Defender 1.JPG

New Defender 2.JPG

Edited by Naks
added photos
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, that colour scheme looks quite nice.  Plus, it's good to see the whiteboard on the side not looking so obvious.

That interior isn't really that well thought out, for those looking for a working vehicle.  It's not just the curved aperture, it's also the thickness of the sides and that rear door sucking up space like a fat Hoover.  I suppose the 130 could make up for some of those losses though.  I wonder how much longer that will actually be inside?

24 minutes ago, reb78 said:

They look like the minute you go over a bump and the body dips, they will tear the wheel arch to pieces!

That photo looks like it was in Access mode, probably just to make sure of the clearances.

2 hours ago, Naks said:

That photo looks like it was in Access mode, probably just to make sure of the clearances.

Haha. Or they lowered it as well to suit the likely desires of the main buyers...

Has anyone else noticed, that apart from the First Edition and X models. All other 90's come with coil springs as standard, even the very expensive HSE variant. It looks like you can option the Air Suspension in one of two ways, but will cost an extra £2.5k

A shame, as I wonder if this means in a few years time, the market will be flooded with coil sprung versions and EAS ones very difficult to find. I say this, as an off roader, I don't want coil independent suspension. You can see how it restricts the 3rd/4th Gen Shoguns off road. And with coils, surely the Defender is nothing really more than a heavy Discovery Sport/Evoque?

Screenshot 2020-07-09 14.30.48.png

8 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Has anyone else noticed, that apart from the First Edition and X models. All other 90's come with coil springs as standard, even the very expensive HSE variant. It looks like you can option the Air Suspension in one of two ways, but will cost an extra £2.5k

A shame, as I wonder if this means in a few years time, the market will be flooded with coil sprung versions and EAS ones very difficult to find. I say this, as an off roader, I don't want coil independent suspension. You can see how it restricts the 3rd/4th Gen Shoguns off road. And with coils, surely the Defender is nothing really more than a heavy Discovery Sport/Evoque?

Speak for yourself.  As an off-roader, I definitely don't want complex, fragile air suspension with non-optimal spring rates in high clearance conditions!  Though I do agree about not wanting independant suspension.

pfft...  nonsense, plenty of EAS landys off-road and overland without any issues.

some guys in Oz even reported 200,000km on ORIGINAL airbags without any issues.

meanwhile, my OME coils sagged after barely 83,000km 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deep said:

Speak for yourself.  As an off-roader, I definitely don't want complex, fragile air suspension with non-optimal spring rates in high clearance conditions!  Though I do agree about not wanting independant suspension.

I think like many on here. I’d much prefer live axles on any vehicle calling itself a Defender. 

However the air independent suspension does perform well and does simulate a live axle with its cross linked air setup. It is just a hugely complex and expensive solution. For what are really only marginal on road gains. 

I fear a coil independent setup will be comparatively carp off road. I note none of the launch and test vehicles had coils. They were all EAS.