Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Popped up to my nearest LR main dealer, saw these in the yard the dark red 110 HT looks fab. just done a dvla check on the red 110, its untaxed but MOT until 10/20, wonder if its been traded in against the new 2020 model.

IMG_20200712_151529.jpg

IMG_20200712_151544.jpg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Naks said:

pfft...  nonsense, plenty of EAS landys off-road and overland without any issues.

some guys in Oz even reported 200,000km on ORIGINAL airbags without any issues.

meanwhile, my OME coils sagged after barely 83,000km 

You've obviously never seen/heard an airbag go BANG in a tough off-road situation, nor dealt with the hassle of replacing it out in the boondocks.  I have.  Yes, I know, leaves can snap and coils can pop out but, of the three options, coils are the least likely to let you down, by a country mile.  And that's without the air suspension electric issues which have created a market for coil conversion kits.  My memories of living in Kenya, where broken axles/springs were not uncommon,  mean I am quite surprised by your attitude.  "Pfft" right back at you!

8 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

So - who is the target market for the new Defender then ?

I googled it and found this article which had the same lack of clarity on it as I do ...

https://www.desperateseller.co.uk/articles/Cm4s63e0Cskq/who-exactly-is-the-target-audience-for-the-new-land-rover-defender

I'm not sure it is. There are a few fellows on PistonHeads that literally creamed their pants over the new Defender however and spit venom at anyone who isn't likewise obsessed with them. Oddly enough, I don't think these people have ordered or bought one though.

As for the target market:

1. Anyone who wants a Disco 1 thru 4 replacement

2. American's who are being conned into thinking it is a "real" Defender.

18 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

As for the target market:

1. Anyone who wants a Disco 1 thru 4 replacement

2. American's who are being conned into thinking it is a "real" Defender.

Will it not be too expensive for 1?

and will 2 not have a preference for the Range Rover brand ? 

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Haven't watch the vid. But it does seem odd, you can spec rear tow hooks on the Defender, but it seems the only model they are available on is the £75,000 Defender X in the UK. All the other models do not get rear recovery hooks as an option.

Which seems utterly the opposite end of the range to that which they'd be likely to be any use on. Who's going to buy a £75k car and then use it seriously off road (apart from the odd Sheikh)?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Which seems utterly the opposite end of the range to that which they'd be likely to be any use on. Who's going to buy a £75k car and then use it seriously off road (apart from the odd Sheikh)?

I'm no Sheikh, and I would 😎

• Haha 1

In other news. Has anyone noticed the similarity of the new Bronco Sport?

2021-ford-bronco-sport-most-expensive.jp

I don't mean visually. More the intended use and design. The Pretender is a little larger, a little fatter, a little faster, a lot more expensive and can tow more. But for lifestyle/family or commuting duties they would appear to be very similar in concept and ethos.

So it begs the question, is the new Defender really nothing more than a Discovery Sport with a low box?

7 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

In other news. Has anyone noticed the similarity of the new Bronco Sport?

2021-ford-bronco-sport-most-expensive.jp

I don't mean visually. More the intended use and design. The Pretender is a little larger, a little fatter, a little faster, a lot more expensive and can tow more. But for lifestyle/family or commuting duties they would appear to be very similar in concept and ethos.

So it begs the question, is the new Defender really nothing more than a Discovery Sport with a low box?

That image looks quite different to the vehicles pictured here: 

It's like its been fiddled with to make it look like the defender when in reality it looks a fair bit better?

Edited by reb78

Not so much the "sport" version of the Bronco but the bigger versions must be bang in the same market as the new Defender.  They can take 35" tyres standard and have nearly a foot of ground clearance on coil suspension, so are possibly aimed more at the serious off-roader than the Defender?  Shame if that's really true!

26 minutes ago, deep said:

Not so much the "sport" version of the Bronco but the bigger versions must be bang in the same market as the new Defender.  They can take 35" tyres standard and have nearly a foot of ground clearance on coil suspension, so are possibly aimed more at the serious off-roader than the Defender?  Shame if that's really true!

I think the Defender is being aimed at being  “Mall Rover” for soccer Mom’s. Whereas the Bronco is probably more aimed at spending the weekends at the beach or Moab  

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

That image looks quite different to the vehicles pictured here: 

It's like its been fiddled with to make it look like the defender when in reality it looks a fair bit better?

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Don’t think it’s been fiddled. 

92C8F578-E476-47FB-83C2-F219768A1BEE.jpeg

Worth noting that, that’s the Bronco sport, not the Bronco.