Thoughts and musings on the new defender

You don't do jump starts with modern vehicles, it's a great way to break electronics -I know this from personal experiences, as well as the fact that the RAC and AA will never jump vehicle to vehicle, but use a jump pack instead.

52 minutes ago, paime said:

How do you jump start another vehicle with it? What do you do when you have a battery failure in the a*se end of nowhere and you can't move your electric seat back to swap your battery?

In the video he did point out the external jump start posts in engine bay in right front wing top, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paime said:

How do you jump start another vehicle with it? What do you do when you have a battery failure in the a*se end of nowhere and you can't move your electric seat back to swap your battery?

You do not need any vehicle with an electric seat, let alone a Defender! Esp, if you plan to go to a*se end of nowhere!

But the battery location is silly. 

On 7/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, landroversforever said:

JLR may have a way of knowing exactly which one is which, but they’re all only labelled 1 of 150

That's very misleading. I suppose they will claim that it means "it's one of only 150 made" but that's obviously not how it is intended to be read!

On 7/24/2020 at 3:43 AM, Naks said:

Lucky8 have fitted 18" rims to a P400 *WITHOUT* any calliper modification

What's so clever about that? There are factory 18" rims aren't there? I thought the steels were 18s.

5 hours ago, BogMonster said:

What's so clever about that? There are factory 18" rims aren't there? I thought the steels were 18s.

says using factory landrover parts. Calipers from some other model? Esp when they say more info and pricing will follow.

15 hours ago, klivins said:

You do not need any vehicle with an electric seat, let alone a Defender! Esp, if you plan to go to a*se end of nowhere!

But the battery location is silly. 

I completely agree with your first comment but not really the second.  Mounting the heavy battery low and close to the centre of gravity is sensible, not silly.  Access, on the other hand, could be a different story - especially if your seat motors die (making a jump pack on the remote posts redundant!).

Isn't it all a bit academic?   Who in his/her right mind would choose one of these for an expedition to the back of beyond?  Seriously.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, klivins said:

:blush: - I've got some L322 seats fitted to mind and don't have an issue with them. OK they're a bit heavier than standard but they are a damn sight more comfortable.

I have come across a genuine use for them though - when I had my L322 my sister used to use it as well and when she's driven a car I physically can't get into it so have to faff around with the seat from outside just in order to get in. By using different keys the car set itself up for which ever key unlocked the car and voila no issue.

5 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

:blush: - I've got some L322 seats fitted to mind and don't have an issue with them. OK they're a bit heavier than standard but they are a damn sight more comfortable.

I have come across a genuine use for them though - when I had my L322 my sister used to use it as well and when she's driven a car I physically can't get into it so have to faff around with the seat from outside just in order to get in. By using different keys the car set itself up for which ever key unlocked the car and voila no issue.

frankly, thats offtopic, but Ive found electric adjustable seats annoying, not useful. If I wanted to move, say, passenger seat forward - and fast - I had to wait a minute for it to do its job. Likewise its just a push on a lever to adjust the seat!  

I have electric seats in my RRS and i think they're great. Easy to get just the right driver's position without too much fannying around. I wouldn't have them in a working or expedition vehicle though - just another expensive thing to go wrong that i can't fix myself.

More to the point if a jump start kills something on a vehicle then that vehicle has not gone through it's CE marking / certification process because all automotive electronics have to be tested under far more rigorous setups. It can be truly painful trying to get things through the automotive qualification. Multiply that by a factor of several hundred if the equipment in question is a super sensitive radio receiver (trust me I've spent more hours than I care to count sat in a stiflingly hot test centre in Fareham waiting for several hours for a test to fail to spend 10 seconds changing another component or setting and then wait again to see if it fails again).

On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 PM, paime said:

I got chance to poke about under the bonnet of one at the weekend and I'm sure there's a massive busbar type affair on the left hand side as you look into the bonnet, could be wrong, but it looked like a terminal for connecting jumper cable to etc.

Can't edit the original post above but re-reading it should have emphasised that the sub-zero to >50°C temperature cycle was ambient not device temperatures, those regularly ran into triple digits.