Thoughts and musings on the new defender

I waved back, as I do for anyone who waves to me. It's a matter of politeness though rather than expression of solidarity with any particular vehicle - up here a lot of folk wave regardless of vehicle.

I also had a good chat a few weeks back with a chap staying in a house in the village who had a 20-plate 110. He was very pleased with it but had traded in a D5 for it and was measuring it against that rather than the old Defender. Had a good poke around it and it's very impressive.

• Like 1

Saw two on my journey into Surrey last week. One near Bristol on the M4 and overriding view on it was the wheels were too small for the size of the vehicle. The other one was in Guildford and had one of those side thingies on and looked weird.

15 hours ago, reb78 said:

Whats the official response? Wave back? Ignore them like series drivers used to with defender drivers? Give them the middle finger?

He was probably waving a bundle of £50s, like the Harry Enfield character!

2 hours ago, Red90 said:

Which I assume makes it not legal to do in Europe?

Probably not legal anywhere first-world'ish. We could probably get away with it in ZA, but LR would void the warranty in a flash. 

https://www.facebook.com/1764327793832190/posts/2649086655356295/

You have to tilt your phone until the man standing in the background is vertical to compensate for the camera angle.

Still, not bad on road tyres. 

Jeep Gladiator vs Land Rover Defender vs Classic Defender vs Rock Garden

- The Gladiator Rubicon is described in another build video. It’s twin-locked with a 2" or 2.5” Lift with 35” tires
- The Defender in the video is a First Edition. It’s totally unlocked, and the only mods are a set of KO2s (Nothing fancy, same size as stock just better grip) and a set of lifting rods which, as you’ll hear in the video, “trick” the suspension into thinking it’s on-road height, when it’s actually lifted.

Edited by Naks

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Bigger engine, bigger brakes does make sense as you can get back up to speed quicker therefore needing more braking performance before they’ve cooled again. 

Yes, compare the brakes on a 4 cyl 2a LWB station wagon and an 8 cyl 3 LWB series station wagon. Massive difference.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, Naks said:

Jeep Gladiator vs Land Rover Defender vs Classic Defender vs Rock Garden

- The Gladiator Rubicon is described in another build video. It’s twin-locked with a 2" or 2.5” Lift with 35” tires
- The Defender in the video is a First Edition. It’s totally unlocked, and the only mods are a set of KO2s (Nothing fancy, same size as stock just better grip) and a set of lifting rods which, as you’ll hear in the video, “trick” the suspension into thinking it’s on-road height, when it’s actually lifted.

The 90 had a 3" lift, 36.5 inch tyres (!) and a rear locker.  Obviously the geometry gave it an advantage but it did make the electronics on the new Land Rover look awfully busy by comparison.  That Jeep is nuts.  Could possibly be used as a bridge?

In another video, I'm sure they said that new Defender is running 33" tyres, by the way.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:44 AM, Naks said:

Video of a Roller test

That is very impressive by the Defender. BUT is it just me or are the rollers set up differently for the G-Wagon - those for the Defender look to be hidden down inside the ramped bit whereas for the G the rollers sit proud up above the ramped part.

22 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I was surprised how big the tyres and sidewall are on the new Defender. In my pics above, when parked next to the green 90. You can clearly see the tyres are quite a bit taller than a 235/85R16. And despite being 19” rims, they have quite chunky sidewalls. 

Optical illusion caused by a wide angle lens.  You'd want to see the two wheels off the car and side by side.  According to factory numbers, they're the same diameter, which makes the new one an inch and a half less "chunky".  The one in the comparison video has tyres an inch taller though.

18 hours ago, deep said:

Optical illusion caused by a wide angle lens.  You'd want to see the two wheels off the car and side by side.  According to factory numbers, they're the same diameter, which makes the new one an inch and a half less "chunky".  The one in the comparison video has tyres an inch taller though.

By the numbers the new Defender is rolling on tyres which are over 32", while a 235/85R16 is under 32". Was no optical illusion, I stood next between the two vehicles and the tyres were taller on the new one.