Thoughts and musings on the new defender

On 8/31/2020 at 10:32 PM, Mo Murphy said:

Unless of course you evolve the design a teeny weeny practical bit and fit a Discovery 1 handbrake lever so that your hand falls to it easily and comfortably without banging your knee 😁

Unless, of course, you're an orangutan ...

Mo

Have you got a photo or thread about this Mo? I could do with a bit more space

3 hours ago, darthdicky said:

Have you got a photo or thread about this Mo? I could do with a bit more space

have a read here https://reedx.net/range-rover-handbrake-lever/ now added to axles & brakes section in our tech archive & in brakes section in our popular modifications index

Edited by western

I’ve been watching through all the PowerfulUK ones - his enthusiasm is strangely engaging :D

Some very helpful videos on how to fit things like the roof rails, rear recovery points and the front bash plate.

The American video could have done with more focus on the vehicle/off-roading and less on fancy flying drone shots, but it was interesting to watch nonetheless.

• Like 1

I can’t see why anyone would ever need so many charging points in the back row, but too many is better than too few.  The charging in the front and the load space are good.  That is still not a major selling point to me - it’s an easy provision to add.  The centre console is very bulky, but if that was a necessity for the strength of the folding seat, fair enough.  I’m not sure what the point of the rear view camera is, as it was giving a similar view as the mirror; if the camera can be set to give a downward view for parking or reversing up to a trailer, that’d be much more useful.  The blind spot warning isn’t just for cyclists - I have the same system on my 2014 Volvo, last year of model production, so it’s nothing new, but having it live while parked and occupied is a pretty good idea, so it works as a door opening system as well as blind spot warning for changing lanes.

The rear lights are still stupid and always will be.  They could have positioned the main lights in the body bulges, like the Series and Defenders before, and avoided the need for those horrible and no doubt expensive little repeaters.  If they’d made the lights as a corner housing, they’d even be an easily replaced sacrificial part that would prevent the need for new panels and a respray for little knocks.  The electric tow hitch?  That is a waste of money and a liability.  And I really don’t like those exposed screw heads on the door trim - I’d be very surprised if they actually are fixings rather than dummies.

Good luck to her making money, but Supercarblondie comes off to me as exactly the type of expat that rubs me the wrong way - shallow, vain, obsessed with bling and trinkets, and exceptionally entitled.  We see a lot of those personalities in this place, but thankfully, a lot of people who chose to live more modestly and not treat everyone else badly.  That video unintentionally says everything about the sort of person this car is aimed at.

• Like 2

Well having seen a few of them on our recent trip round the NC500 I have to say the look is growing on me, especially in NATO green with "sensible" sized wheels/tyres.

Shiny ones in metallic "grandad" colours with bling alloys look awful but that's probably true of anything. Why on earth are the colour swatches from the 1987 Austin Montego line making a comeback?

Quite a few of the "new" owners gave us a wave in the ambulance and one I spoke to at a motorway services was a die-hard Defender fan who said the new one was just so much nicer for modern motoring... certainly I bet they were all putting in less effort on the outside lane of the motorway than I was hustling along in the 127.

• Like 1

The range of colours is poor, I’d very much liked to have gone for a straight solid colour but the only non-metallic available is the standard white which I’m not a fan of. In the end Eiger Grey has had to do.

This Pangea Green one looks good with a set of BFG ATs on the standard 18” steel wheels. A reasonably good range of tyres available in that size with a decent sidewall. Mine is coming with the Wrangler ATs but will get BFGs when they’re worn out (or when they get burst :D).

27178CAD-7A46-4B6A-8C68-2D11302D800A.jpeg.d753d224fb3c936954ca6429c35d1e91.jpeg

B2B3CC33-3169-4A51-8E18-01CFF702ED1A.jpeg.61ba72582797e436df19dc3d6c3d1254.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

It might have have had the satin film wrap applied, which is a (very expensive) factory option.

All colours other than Fuji White are metallic. 

Ah, thought it was a solid colour, I agree not much choice. A few solid colours for working vehicles would of been a good idea.