Thoughts and musings on the new defender

Well having seen a few of them on our recent trip round the NC500 I have to say the look is growing on me, especially in NATO green with "sensible" sized wheels/tyres.

Shiny ones in metallic "grandad" colours with bling alloys look awful but that's probably true of anything. Why on earth are the colour swatches from the 1987 Austin Montego line making a comeback?

Quite a few of the "new" owners gave us a wave in the ambulance and one I spoke to at a motorway services was a die-hard Defender fan who said the new one was just so much nicer for modern motoring... certainly I bet they were all putting in less effort on the outside lane of the motorway than I was hustling along in the 127.

• Like 1

The range of colours is poor, I’d very much liked to have gone for a straight solid colour but the only non-metallic available is the standard white which I’m not a fan of. In the end Eiger Grey has had to do.

This Pangea Green one looks good with a set of BFG ATs on the standard 18” steel wheels. A reasonably good range of tyres available in that size with a decent sidewall. Mine is coming with the Wrangler ATs but will get BFGs when they’re worn out (or when they get burst :D).

27178CAD-7A46-4B6A-8C68-2D11302D800A.jpeg.d753d224fb3c936954ca6429c35d1e91.jpeg

B2B3CC33-3169-4A51-8E18-01CFF702ED1A.jpeg.61ba72582797e436df19dc3d6c3d1254.jpeg

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

It might have have had the satin film wrap applied, which is a (very expensive) factory option.

All colours other than Fuji White are metallic. 

Ah, thought it was a solid colour, I agree not much choice. A few solid colours for working vehicles would of been a good idea. 

13 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Working vehicles...... 🤣

You laugh... but I've noticed these days a lot of SUV's are the ones towing plant trailers or hauling gear for folks who don't want a rattly old Defender or a pikey Japanese pickup... see a lot of Merc ML's and Disco 3/4/5 towing plant and honestly why not?

If someone had said 20 years ago that builders would be tooling round in vans with 19" alloys, the 0-60 time of a Golf GTi and the level of equipment found in the RR Vogue SE you'd think it unlikely but that's where we are.

15 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The range of colours is poor, I’d very much liked to have gone for a straight solid colour but the only non-metallic available is the standard white which I’m not a fan of. In the end Eiger Grey has had to do.

This Pangea Green one looks good with a set of BFG ATs on the standard 18” steel wheels. A reasonably good range of tyres available in that size with a decent sidewall. Mine is coming with the Wrangler ATs but will get BFGs when they’re worn out (or when they get burst :D).

B2B3CC33-3169-4A51-8E18-01CFF702ED1A.jpeg.61ba72582797e436df19dc3d6c3d1254.jpeg

Green is the colour I'd pick from the online configurator. However in the flesh I didn't actually like it. It does look better in the matt finish, but my word is it an expensive option or what!

BTW - There looks to be a huge colour discrepancy in the pic above, look at the rear pillar with the small lights and compare to the rear wing. Bit odd looking, wonder if it is only visible on camera and not with the naked eye?

27 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You laugh... but I've noticed these days a lot of SUV's are the ones towing plant trailers or hauling gear for folks who don't want a rattly old Defender or a pikey Japanese pickup... see a lot of Merc ML's and Disco 3/4/5 towing plant and honestly why not?

If someone had said 20 years ago that builders would be tooling round in vans with 19" alloys, the 0-60 time of a Golf GTi and the level of equipment found in the RR Vogue SE you'd think it unlikely but that's where we are.

Valid point fridge. Farmer friend of mine rocks around in a D4 on MTs. It pretty much lives with a trailer on the back of it. Same when he had the D3 before that. His boss occasionally even sticks the ifor on the back of the Cayenne. 

The factory satin wrapping is expensive. However I priced up one of these paint protection films as I thought it might be good to help prevent bramble rash on green lanes and such, and for the full vehicle you’re looking at £5k plus. Frankly it can get scratched up for that price!

Might look at a price for just the sides. I’m buying it to use it so I’ve no reason to be worried about minor scratches and dents, but there is still a small part of me that will cry the first time it gets dragged down a hedge :lol:

I think a few of the commercial ones will find homes doing things like Ross mentions above, as a tax-efficient way of getting a fairly high-end company car. 

19 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

BTW - There looks to be a huge colour discrepancy in the pic above, look at the rear pillar with the small lights and compare to the rear wing. Bit odd looking, wonder if it is only visible on camera and not with the naked eye?

Just looks like the satin-ish paint is picking up the tones of reflections rather than the clear shapes to me.

Retro - the fact you'll be using it on lanes etc. is good to hear, that's more than many original Defenders get (just look at Def2...) and they don't have the excuse of being £45k+ vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to actually drive mine when's it's finished, it might get dirty.

7 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The factory satin wrapping is expensive. However I priced up one of these paint protection films as I thought it might be good to help prevent bramble rash on green lanes and such, and for the full vehicle you’re looking at £5k plus. Frankly it can get scratched up for that price!

Might look at a price for just the sides. I’m buying it to use it so I’ve no reason to be worried about minor scratches and dents, but there is still a small part of me that will cry the first time it gets dragged down a hedge :lol:

I think a few of the commercial ones will find homes doing things like Ross mentions above, as a tax-efficient way of getting a fairly high-end company car. 

One of the Jeeps I laned with in France used industrial cling film... Can't remember how they got in and out - perhaps through the sunroof.

There were some neat magnetic panels for the D3s and D4s in the group but they probably won't work on aluminium :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There seems to be a quietly growing class of vehicle these days, that are getting used for transport to remote sites or trailer hauling when people don't want the ubiquitous (but restricting) crew cab 4WDs.  Things like the Ford Everest, Isuzu Mu-X and at least one Holden and a Toymota come to mind.  These are more or less a pick up truck converted into a station wagon, with better rear suspension.  They have big rubber and decent ground clearance.  In fact, given that most have traction control, they are the natural competitor for the new Defender and much cheaper to boot.  You can't blame people for buying them, considering they are likely to give less trouble, have as much room and, in the real world, be just as useful on and off road.

6 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Looks like the different materials are different colours to me.

At launch, some makers’ cars are often only available with black trims and rub strips. This allows the manufacturer time to get the colour match exact as they are often bought-in.